Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

embedded Linux(x86) development--distro modification or LFS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinczakko

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
When developing Linux based embedded system, which one is the most efficient (in terms of development time), stripping down a distribution like Slackware or building it from scratch by using LFS. The constraints of the system-wide design are:
1. x86 platform -- Pentium M based with micro ATX form factor.
2. Storage : 1GB CompactFlash
3. RAM: 512MB DDR2
4. I/O: PS/2 port (keyboard/mouse) unused, video output not needed.
5. System will be managed remotely through SSH.
6. Will be running Java-based application --> JVM will be used.

TIA,
Pinczakko

Re: embedded Linux(x86) development--distro modification or

Hi,

building the Linux system from scratch is not impossible. I just finishing a project which is almost the same specification. I did it in 3 months with a very low experience in Linux as I started the project.
i could give you the following suggestion:
1. read the book from Karim Yaghmour for the basic Linux system, for the toolchain use crosstool (http://kegel.com/crosstool/).
2. installtion of JRE is very easy, just download the package from Sun's website and and extract
3. install the X windows system, and the windows manager. i use IceWM since it is realtively lightweight.

hope this helps,
regards,

Re: embedded Linux(x86) development--distro modification or

Hi,

building the Linux system from scratch is not impossible. I just finishing a project which is almost the same specification. I did it in 3 months with a very low experience in Linux as I started the project.
i could give you the following suggestion:
1. read the book from Karim Yaghmour for the basic Linux system, for the toolchain use crosstool (Building and Testing gcc/glibc cross toolchains).
2. installtion of JRE is very easy, just download the package from Sun's website and and extract
3. install the X windows system, and the windows manager. i use IceWM since it is realtively lightweight.

hope this helps,
regards,

is it possible to install JVM on Atmel ATmega32 micro-controller,then run J2ME programme????????????????????????
help plz,
if yes,how??
if no, why?>??????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back