Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Embedded Ethernet without TCP/IP Stack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tagli

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to access a PIC controlled device from the LAN, and I'm planning to use ENC28J60. Microchip provides a TCP/IP stack but I don't want to use it because of 2 reasons:
1) The only PIC programming language I know is the assembly language and Microchip TCP/IP stack is written for C.
2) I don't want an internet access. For an LAN - only access, TCP/IP stack will be waste of resources.

So, my questions are: Is it possible to implement a LAN communication by using only raw ethernet packages? Do routers (like an ADSL modem + router combo we use at home) require special protocols to accept a newly connected device? I mean, do routers accept a device which doesn't do anything to receive an IP address? Or can I just connect the device (PIC + ENC28J60) to the router and send data from computer to the device (and from device to computer) by using only MAC addresses?

Short answer: Nope. You are out of luck.

Longer answer: Sure, but not raw ethernet. My advise would be to use UDP packets. That is only a minimal investment on the side of microchip software/firmware. Plus your average router will route your favorite UDP packets no problemo. UDP is way simpler than a full tcp stack. Plus if you are doing send only (from the micro to somewhere else), then things get real simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.