Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EM simulator for folded P.A.T.C.H antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbhalerao

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cst folded patch antenna

Hi to all,
I want to know which would be the best EM simulator for my requirements:
1. I want to design a folded P.A.T.C.H antenna for 2.45 GHz.. Size is a major constraint !!! This would lead to reduced gain of the antenna, so it has to be a potium offset between gain and size.....
2. This is for a research project and is purely for the purpose of research.. This is actually for a rectenna (rectifier + antenna) design that I have made.. I haven't finalised the antenna design as of yet and need to simulate it.. I have tried IE3D till now. Can you suggest something else ??? Sonnet, HFSS??? Can ADS Momnrtum be used for this purpose - this could be great as I have already simulated the associated rectifier circuit in ADS.. (I have read the application note and demo from Agilent site for RFID tag design and Rectenna)
3. A simulator which reduces the learning curve is most welcome (Guys, I know this is almost clse to impossible!!!!)

Thanking you in advance,
Shantanu Bhalerao
NIT Nagpur,
India.

differential patch antenna

ADS Momentum should work just fine, but learning curve is a little steep. Free SonnetLite (www.sonnetsoftware.com, I work for Sonnet) should also work OK. I posted a pdf describing how to do 2.45 GHz RFID elsewhere on EDAboard, if you can not find it, I will post it again. (It inlcudes a unique broadband dipole that is just about to be published at APMC in China.) Install time is about 5 minutes, then do Help->Tutorial and about an hour later you will be up to speed on Sonnet. The full version of Sonnet also has a very nice interface to ADS. Volume meshers, like CST and HFSS are also good for RFID, but have much longer learning curves and longer analysis times. They are best if you have some non-planar aspect, like curved surfaces or odd objects nearby.

rectenna ie3d

Hi, sbhalerao: IE3D is excellent for your applications. If you go to IEEE APS, you will see tens of papers referencing IE3D every year. Most of those major wirless companies are using IE3D for patch and other planar and 3D antenna simulations. IE3D also has built-in optimizers which allow you to optimize your antennas' input impedances, resonant frequencies, patterns' properties and sizes. Please try the virtual training on www.zeland.com. It will show you how easy you can make patch antenna simulations and optimizations. Regards.

.dxf antenna rfid

sbhalerao said:
Hi to all,
I want to know which would be the best EM simulator for my requirements:
1. I want to design a folded P.A.T.C.H antenna for 2.45 GHz..
2. ....Can you suggest something else ??? Sonnet, HFSS??? Can @DS Momnrtum be used for this purpose - this could be great as I have already simulated the associated rectifier circuit in @DS.. (I have read the application note and demo from @gilent site for RFID tag design and Rectenna)
HFSS is a very good tool for such problems. You can look some examples in the attachment file.

folded patch antenna radiation pattern

yes i agree with jian ie3d is reasonably accurate for patch antennas.

made patch antenna

hi,what version of HFSS found here?

patch antenna layout design ads

Hi sbhalerao:
i am interesting in design 900M RFID antenna using ADS, but i am beginner. my task is simulate the antenna input impedance. this is for research!
but i have some confusion, because the antenna is dipole, have two input port. i don't know how to define the port type in ADS momentum, should be differential port or internal port plus ground reference? do you have an idea?
the RFID is encapsule with PVC, and the antenna should print on PET(i am not certain about this material )

patch antenna design software linux

simple of patch antenna use agilent ADS,
first use "LineCalc" to calculate patch size (x,y), next use "Momentum" calculate it

if need 3D farfield ? under Momentum manu "Post-Processing"=>Radiation Pattern

you can view it at 2D or 3D...

ads momentum antenna + pdf

First, I think this guy had already tried IE3D and was asking for alternatives. (Jian, please read his post again and refrain from advertising your product as good as it may be).

Second, what you are saying is that size is a major issue. If I understand well, you will design around box and you may need some 3D details too. If this is so, I strongly advise you to abandon MoM solvers or use them cautiously to some initial point and use 3D tool like HFSS or MWS or Fidelity (or others) afterwards for optimizing the design if that is of a concern here. If the box size is such that it may affect the radiation pattern and in case the antenna parameters are of good importance too - I'd also suggest using 3D tool.
From the tools you mentioned IE3D seems to be a good choice, but ADS Momentum is another wonderful tool too. You may trust Momentum results even though it is somewhat tricky to properly setup. Should you decide to give a try to Momentum, please watch ANY warning message as most of the time those are very, very adequate in both technical and electromagnetic terms and may save you lots of ...say curious results.
But again, Mom(entum) is MoM predominantly planar solver and may not suffice for accounting many ietms like box connectors, Coax to xxx transitions etc.
If you provide more detail there would probably be even more adequate recommendations.

One issue I had not seen in your e-mail is what SW you may basically use (have in your company/Uni etc) We may then further refine our advice.

Regards,

linux+app+antenna+sim

I have to say that Jian's comment above is appropriate. IE3D IS excellent for the specific application. If sbhalerao is looking for a P.ATCH antenna design, it would be a waste of time at this point to try to learn other software.

em simulator linux demo

loucy, I believe you are patently wrong.
If someone is asking what is asking and you say that what he is asking he should not be asking you show great disrespect to the person.
I don't know what makes you believe that Jian's comment is alright??
And I am serious about it here.
We are not here to judge or advertise, we are here to help when one is asking for help or express opinion when asked for and are in position to.
Whether IE3D is good or not is NOT the subject. Subject is that the user (likely)would like (at least) to verify his results and I see nothing wrong inhere.
Do you???
Let alone I basically can't care less if this has been the reasoning of the guy asking or not. To me it matters not....

antenna folded 3d

Hi, All: I am interested to see that I am frequently targeted by some people no matter whether I am discussing about general topics or IE3D, and no matter whether my postings are correct or incorrect. I can see most of those people who have been targeting me are promoting their own ideas or products. One thing for sure is that I would not feel hesitate to post anything I believe are good to the society, even it is possible my comments may not be correct or imcomplete. Best regards.

patch antenna ads

Objection noticed.

rfid antenna design tutorial india

Hi

The mumentom is not proper for 3D antenna contructions. The best and accurate sulotion is based on HFSS. For rectifier part, the schematic part of the ADS is proposed. Then convert them to Layout (mumentom). The simulation in layout is not correct because the lumped element have not been defined there. So, just use the mumentum as layout . By exporting it as DXF you can fabricate the disigned circiut. NOtice that in ADS the S-parames have almost 200MHz frequency shift, therefore consider it in your design.
My project is about rectenna. If you have any question please don't hesitate to ask.

Good Luck

ie3d antenna trial version download

Free evaluation licenses of Zeland’s products are available from the web site. Please
go to the DOWNLOAD area of www.zeland.com. Please register for a pair of User
Name and Password. The User Name and Password will be e-mailed to you
automatically. You are able to access the DOWNLOAD area of www.zeland.com
using the User Name and Password pair.
If you are interested in our Windows based products only, please download the All
Products for Windows from Zeland in the Evaluation Software for Evaluators section.
It contains everything you need. If you are also interested in IE3D link to Cadence
running on Linux, you can also download IE3D/AGIF for Linux 32 and/or
IE3D/AGIF for Linux 64. Please understand that only IE3D engine and the AGIF
interface are available on Linux at the time of this writing.

Re: rfid antenna design tutorial india

Good Day,

Could you please mention, whether the shift is + or - 200 MHz.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back