Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electronic motor speed controller on RC plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolchip

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how rc plane controllers work

Hi,
I am building a circuit (using PIC) to control the motor speed of an RC plane.
Please give me ideas/links for the same.

Thank you!

rc motor speed controller

Which type using motor for RC plane ? ( servo , step,... )

rc pic speed control

So do you expect this could be a stepper?

bldc rc plane

coolchip said:
Hi,
I am building a circuit (using PIC) to control the motor speed of an RC plane.
Please give me ideas/links for the same.

Thank you!

for speed control dc motor will be working well, using pwm servo is not good for speed control since it only work 180 degree if you want 360 need a little modification the potentialmeter

pic based rc speed controller

Jack// ani said:
So do you expect this could be a stepper?

Hehehehe :D.

For motor speed controller, your are talking about the motor main engine right? If that is the case, you can use PWM method, and I guess your airplane engine is not servo, hehehe.

brushless dc motor for rc plane

Its a brushless DC motor especially for this purpose.

coolchip said:
Its a brushless DC motor especially for this purpose.

hmm - you need know how this motor is build inside, ie how to handle
reactive current, current reversion, peak voltage, inductance etc.
for build right type of drivers.

brushless DC motor have always silicon equipment inside and can
give supprise if you handle this same way as brush-type
of DC-motor.

I am using a seperate electronic speed controller with the motor like the one shown in figure.
Any ideas how to use it ?
I also need to build a circuit to control the speeds to desirable values.

coolchip said:
I am using a seperate electronic speed controller with the motor like the one shown in figure.
Any ideas how to use it ?
I also need to build a circuit to control the speeds to desirable values.

hmm - see 3 big conducts to motor - in real world 3 phase AC-motors with
outside ajustable AC-converter???

this is not same as brush-type DC-motor and need different power controll construction. Is very importent to know how motor works (witch or witch out controller equipment) to make right type of interface.

for example here is not so god chocie using pulsed brush motor-controller
on this controller depend on huge electrolyt capasitor on power cord input,
brush motor-controller _need_ motor inductanse and free
wheeling diode for proper work.

and if a 3-phase motor you need make 3-phase converter
with adjustable frequense and controlled current.

---

how response motor turn/s on diffrerent DC-input (from batteries)
on this type of controller and - how adjusting power to motor from
RC-controll - pulse or DC from zero to five volt ????

coolchip

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
the figure you posted indicates to me a BLDC type controller with sensorless technolgoy. all BLDC motors (and induction motors) require that the controller know the position of the rotor in order to ensure synchronization. yet, in the figure you posted there are only 3 wires going to the motor (phase A/B/C) not 3 wires + rotor position sense signals. therefore, it is sensorless.

the problem however, is that it also says it is variable speed controller. where is the signalline from user to controller? how does the user set the speed of the motor? it looks like the only other wires are those that go to the DC battery supply.

coolchip, are there any other wires?

if not, i would retract my "sensorless" comments and say that it is running open-loop. then, to control the speed you must vary the DC supply

Mr.Cool

coolchip

Mr.Cool said:
if not, i would retract my "sensorless" comments and say that it is running open-loop. then, to control the speed you must vary the DC supply
Mr.Cool
In order to run open loop, the freq must be ramped up slowly, and hope that the rotor keeps up.
If the rotor does not keep up with the freq of the rotating magnetic field, then the motor will start to buzzzzzz.
Phil

Thanks for replying! What kind of input does ESC need and how do I regulate speed using it?
Are there links which explain the connections of the same?

RC electronic control signals used to be based on a PWM mode varying from .5ms to 1.5ms with the center at 1ms.
RC controls are servos where the input signal of .5ms puts it to full left and 1.5ms full right. or up/down, min power max power.
So the input to your ESC should be a positive going pulse that varies from .5ms to 1.5ms in width repeating at about 20ms.
National semiconductor has data relating to RC controls using their 1 chip reciever and xmitter. LM1871 and LM1872

**broken link removed**

coolchip

I have ever made dc motor controller, and i used pwm signal amplied by power transistor. It is easily made if you use microcontroller. Use two internal timer to make the pwm signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back