Electronic gadgets and Electromagnetic Waves...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroEnthusiast

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Effects of EM Waves on Electronic Gadgets
Q1: I found that EM Waves affect the life and working of Electronic-Electrical Appliances. Since Mobile Telephone Microwaves are found everywhere, will it affect the appliance? My Home is situated very near to a Mobile Tower, will it affect the working of any appliances?What EM waves affect them?

Q2: I hear a noise from my comp speaker, and screen showing disturbed display, when i receive a phone call to my mobile, what is this effect called? Why does it happen? Does it have any effects on lifespan of computer?

not only being a disturbance to computers and electronic equipment, they affect health adversely. Please refer the attached quote for more information.

Last edited:

Well, i knew they were harmful. Thats why i dont have a mobile of my own. Nice article huh!, whats the answer for my questions?

I hear a noise from my comp speaker, and screen showing disturbed display, when i receive a phone call to my mobile, what is this effect called?
It's called "radio frequency interference", abbreviated to r.f.i.

Why does it happen?
It happens because the equipment which experiences interference is inadequately screened and/or filtered.

Does it have any effects on lifespan of computer?
No.

buildings contain considerable amount of metal inside them. so, some amount of electromagnetic shielding will be there and the transmitters too, they can't waste too much power and hence they operate at barely sufficient power to sustain mobile phone operation. In one particular kind of zoning, which is called umbrella cell, a considerably high power transmitter is used. that too, only in places with a highly mobile population, to reduce the number of hand-offs required.

So what are you trying to say? What is "Umbrella Cell" BTW? Why does it interfere only when i receivea call< why not always?
Can anyone explain this?

Last edited:

It's called "radio frequency interference", abbreviated to r.f.i.

It happens because the equipment which experiences interference is inadequately screened and/or filtered.

No.

hi Synopator,
Can you please clarify me, 'How Electromagnetic Interference cause disturbance?'

one of the properties of metal is that they reflect electromagnetic radiation. So, they will reflect the incoming radiation. The incoming radiation, as told in my previous post will be quite less because, power at a distance 't' metres away from a transmitter, transmitting at a power of 'Pt' will have a power proportional to Pt/ (t^2), it will be much less tan this considering the real case. So, the power will be negligible and the metals present will also shield quite well. So, it wouldn't adversely affect electric/ electronic equipment. You mentioned that you live near a mobile tower. You have no reason to worry if you live in a concrete house. Don't know what'll happen to people living in wooden houses, as is the case of many in US/ Europe.

When you receive a call, a complicated protocol occurs. There are many channels associated with a phone call. Its hard to trust wikipedia but this is fairly accurate. Please see this: Um interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the base station conveys to your phone that your phone is about to receive a call using one of these channels. And since there are many users, Frequency is re used. For example, you might be using f1 t one point of time and f2 at another point of time and one of these might cause rfi and the other might not. Thats why it doesn't occur all the time.

Regarding umbrella cells, Mobile phone providers don't have he freedom to operate at all frequencies. They will be allotted only a very small part of the spectrum and to accomodate many users in it, they are forced to reuse the spectrum at different locations. So, they have to plan taking various factors in consideration regarding locating the mobile phone towers. When you move from the control of one mobile phone tower to another base station transceiver, a procedure called 'hand-off' occurs. When you move too fast, example, while travelling in a vehicle, you will be handed off quite fast across several base station transceivers. To avoid this, they use a big base station transceiver with a lot of power, which is used only for users moving at a very high speed.

Thanks Ninja, your explanation was good.

When you receive a call, a complicated protocol occurs.
Are these protocols responsible for disturbance(only these frequencies in mobile comm.)

yeah mostly it would be the reason. I experimented a bit with the speakers on. When i tried sending a message or when call was initiated, there was no problem. When my friend sent a message to my phone and also called me, it was present. So, i'd say its mostly the Standalone Dedicated Control Channel thats causing this. Its just my own inference and may or may not be the truth. Hope some member of this forum working in the field clarifies this.

Status
Not open for further replies.