Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrical or electronics device

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronics_kumar

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
is there any rule or method to categorize a device as a electrical or as a electronics device..for eg transformer is categorized as electrical device not as a electronics...In both classification ,voltage or current flows..then it is so...

I think that an electronic device is one in which there's silicon or generally a solid-state element,while in electrical one there's only metals,dielectrics,magnetics

electronics_kumar,
One criterion is: Electronics is the field of endeavor involving components that are capable of producing incremental power gain.
~
This includes transistors, FETS, tubes, diodes, non-linear magnetics, etc.
Regards,
Kral

ok..guys i found that transformer is a electrical device.. how come the decision was made.....?

hi...

if we go by the history and common perceptioon...the term electrical is used to any device that works on high voltages/currents/power where as electronic deveice work on comparatively low V/I/P...
However as electronics device technology matured ....many devices work at higher ratings....but still electronic devices were differentiated by their operating V/I only....
so a transformer works at 230 V ...diodes/ at 2- 10 V ...and if some electronic devices are working at higher ratings...it is generally prefixed with word power...eg a high V diode is called POWER DIODE... but rationally the line of demarcation is not very clear.

the power or electronics is measured by the current that dissipated by cct.and there is a margin between them
electronic approx. less than 1 amps
power approx. more than 10 amps
1-10 between the two margin

electronics_kumar,
A transformer always has a power gain of less than 1, so it does not qualify as an active device. You can amplify voltage or current with a transformer, but the output power will always be less than the input power.
Regards,
Kral

electrical and electronic device are used any applification.

is this important for us?i think if we know their functions,this is enough for us.

I think devices using semiconductor components or small devices are electronic. and devices working at high AC voltages are electrical.

Hello,

About your question; both are electric and electronic. But I think that an electric device is meant to carry high voltage and current while an electronic device is meant to carry low voltage and current.

If you find other illustrations would you tell me??

El-Hadidy

hi kumar.
whenever a device consists of electrons &holes,in its structure or current produced by the movement of both elctrons &holes it can be called as an electronic device.
where as electrical devices have only electrons.

the power or electronics is measured by the current that dissipated by cct.and there is a margin between them
electronic approx. less than 1 amps
power approx. more than 10 amps
1-10 between the two margin

Kral said:
electronics_kumar,
A transformer always has a power gain of less than 1, so it does not qualify as an active device. You can amplify voltage or current with a transformer, but the output power will always be less than the input power.
Regards,
Kral
can we conclude that TRANSFORMER IS A passive device since it is not having power gain..but anyway it is having current or voltage gain...then what is the new decision...

a device which has the silicon technology is an electronics device..

Status
Not open for further replies.