Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrical motor without magnets or coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the 19960s I saw an article about an electrostatic motor which used voltage fields instead of currents in coils. Never seems to have caught one :-(
Frank

No, what I mean is definitely not an electrostatic motor. It operated at many amperes at low voltage.
If I remember well the one thick turn short circuited the PSU.
Any ideas?

- - - Updated - - -

Ah I found it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_bearing_motor

There is a video on the internet showing one of them working, I can't remember the URL but it was a site of someone who experimented with unusual and historical technologies. Try searching for old tech, things like thyratrons, decatrons and the likes.

It works by the heating of the contact points in the bearings expanding and making them slightly oval. This applies pressure to the shaft which rotates it to a new cool spot around it's circumference. That spot then heats up and the original hot spot cools. Given a push to start it, the process is cyclical and the shaft rotates. It is very inefficient!

Brian.

I remember that thing making an appearance in E&WW, one of Ivor Catts set if memory serves.

Regards, Dan.

There is a video on the internet showing one of them working, I can't remember the URL but it was a site of someone who experimented with unusual and historical technologies. Try searching for old tech, things like thyratrons, decatrons and the likes.

It works by the heating of the contact points in the bearings expanding and making them slightly oval. This applies pressure to the shaft which rotates it to a new cool spot around it's circumference. That spot then heats up and the original hot spot cools. Given a push to start it, the process is cyclical and the shaft rotates. It is very inefficient!

Brian.

Not sure if it really works due to heat effects on the balls of the bearing or electromagnetic effects. The article on wikipedia about "ball bearing motor" leaves questions.

The fact that it can be started in either direction says it is probably thermal not electromagnetic....

Regards, Dan.

Slightly off topic
I remember that thing making an appearance in E&WW, one of Ivor Catts set if memory serves.
, Ivor Catt was (is?) a respected engineer but does anyone remember the contentious letters that went back and forth from "Ouida Dogg" ??

Brian.

I believe these are called "Marinov motors" and not surprisingly work on the Marinov principle.
From memory, the original article written up in E & WW was published on April 1 which led many at the time to assume it was an April fool day prank, which it most definitely was not.

- - - Updated - - -

Slightly off topic , Ivor Catt was (is?) a respected engineer but does anyone remember the contentious letters that went back and forth from "Ouida Dogg" ??

Brian.

Oh goodness, you must be nearly as ancient as me Brian.
Yes, I remember those verbal jousts between Ivor and his nemesis clearly, even after all these years.
Classic good fun !

Perhaps we should start a nostalgia section on Edaboard! Anyone remember "Cathode Ray"? I might still have his book "Second thoughts on Radio Theory" lying inthe dust somewhere.

Brian.

I believe these are called "Marinov motors" and not surprisingly work on the Marinov principle.
From memory, the original article written up in E & WW was published on April 1 which led many at the time to assume it was an April fool day prank, which it most definitely was not.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh goodness, you must be nearly as ancient as me Brian.
Yes, I remember those verbal jousts between Ivor and his nemesis clearly, even after all these years.
Classic good fun !

It might be remembered that Ivor Catt also gave his opinions and ideas concerning EMC at the time - there were contributors such as Ivan L. E. Fant and Oliver Fish.

I happened to take issue with some of those opinions and that also came into the journal. Under my pseudonym Eima Burdd! :wink:

I suppose I must also be somewhat ancient...

Status
Not open for further replies.