Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Electrical Length / S Parameter Phase Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

darcyrandall2004

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
My VNA has an option for entering the electrical length and the S parameter phase offset.

I understand that the option for electical length is so that I can move the plane of measurment from the end of my cables right upto the component on my DUT.

Why on earth do I need to enter an S paramter phase offset? I would have thought the S paramater phase offset would be calculated from the electrical length.

What then is difference between these two options? Why do I need both?

Thankyou

Electrical line length may include tranmission line loss, out and back, where the phase adjustment does not.

I use them both all the time. Lets say I have a small antenna that I want to measure the impedance of. I cal the vna normally (on my machine I just do an open/short "response" cal). But after this cal the reference plane is at some connector plane, not necessarily at the exact antenna feed point. I then take the antenna and solder on a short wire between the feed point and the ground plane. Hook the antenna up, and sweep the frequency (say from 902 to 928 MHz). As I look at a polar display I SHOULD see a small reflection coefficient dot at mag=1, ang=-180 deg.

What I usually see instead is a squigly worm somewhere else. I go to the electrical delay, and change the value until the squigly worm display looks the most like a single dot (it will never look exactly like a dot, just make it as small a radius of squigles as you can). THEN you go to the phase offset and turn it until the center of the "dot" is right on the -180 deg angle.

THen you unsolder the jumper wire to ground, and can measure the antenna's true impedance.

It is a little crude, but for under 6 ghz it works fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.