Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

electrical characteristics of soft start circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

greatkaiyu

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
who can tell me the meaning of the parameter "reset switch resistance" in the soft start circuit ?
thank u

Hey greatkaiyu!

A soft start circuit is needed to prevent a huge inrush current from damaging your circuit during startup.

So a series resistance is connected which limits the inrush current below a safe value. Then during normal operation this resistance is shunted.(shorted)

The value of this series resistance is the "reset switch resistance".

Giri

thank u vsgiri

i have some other questons.

firstly,where is the resistance coupled in the soft start circuit? could u give me an example,please?

secondly,what's the meaning of "full current limit" in the soft start circuit of a step up dc-dc convertor?
u see,here is a part of description in max8727

**broken link removed**

I don't think resistors are used in dc-dc converters as soft-start circuits ..
In the following article you will find out how it (soft-start, that is) can be implemented in dc-dc switching converters ..
"Simple soft-start circuit for switching regulators":
**broken link removed**

.. The circuit shows a 5-V to 3.3-V, 1.5-A switching regulator with an additional op amp, U1, that forces the output voltage to follow the exponential voltage rise on C1 (see the figure). Consequently, the startup voltage will ramp up in 50 ms. As the output voltage tries to exceed the voltage across C1, the op amp controls the switch duty cycle by injecting current into the feedback node, thus guiding the output voltage into regulation. When the startup voltage reaches 3.3 V ..

Regards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.