Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Efficiency of PCB Antenna - How to Measure !

Status
Not open for further replies.

HS

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
pcb antenna ism

How to measure efficiency on PCB antenna designed for ISM band ?
Is this parameter related to VSWR or S11 ?
Can this parameter be measured using a network analyzer?
Is out there on Internet a document showing nice and clear how to measure it?
I did some search but cannot find anything clear.
Thank you in advance!
HS

search on "Wheeler Cap" and you will find numerous references. I would also want to have radiation pattern, gain, s11 information., all the usual parameters.

It is nothing related to VSWR. Regarding the same amout of energy is delivered to the antenna, part of the energy is radiated, the other part of energy is dissipated due to resistive load and surface wave. If you are using HFSS, you can get the radiation efficency directly.

HS said:
How to measure efficiency on PCB antenna designed for ISM band ?
Is this parameter related to VSWR or S11 ?
Can this parameter be measured using a network analyzer?
Is out there on Internet a document showing nice and clear how to measure it?
I did some search but cannot find anything clear.
Thank you in advance!
HS

It is related to VSWR (and S11) but good matching doesn't necessarily mean good efficiency. Antenna efficicency depends on ohmic losses in the material (dielectric), polarization losses, and imperfect matching. So you cannot just measure S11. A 50-ohm resistor connected to the VNA would be a perfect match but it doesn't radiate. The best way is to use an anechoic chamber where you determine the antenna gain (radiation pattern).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back