Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Efficiency issue in offline Flyback Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabu31

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I am testing a Flyback converter with input 230V ac and output of 12 V at 3.4A.
When I am calculating efficiency from RMS values the efficiency is coming around 40%. I am attaching the waveforms of the same. The switching frequency is 100kHz.

I am noticing that there is excessive heating of output diode. I am assuming this is due to the smaller heat sink (13degree/W coefficient) and heat sink temperature is going upto 90 degree after running for 5minutes after which I switched off the system. Input side I am not observing any heating of Mosfet, snubber etc.

What could be the issue with the design for causing lower efficiency.

Attachments

• scope_2.png
    scope_2.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 186

Hi,

Truepower is NOT V_RMS x I_RMS.
Thus it´s impossible to do efficiency calcualtions.

...and for the rest we need schematic and exact part types and values .. or even better (links to) the datasheets.

Klaus

Consider using a SIC diode ?

Regards, Dana.

Consider using a SIC diode ?

Regards, Dana.
Its low cost supply and its available off the shelf also so there is no question of using SiC diode. Mostly they use Ultra fast diodes
--- Updated ---

Hi,

Truepower is NOT V_RMS x I_RMS.
Thus it´s impossible to do efficiency calcualtions.

...and for the rest we need schematic and exact part types and values .. or even better (links to) the datasheets.

Klaus
Then what parameters should be measured for obtaining efficiency

Attachments

• scope_3.png
    scope_3.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 193
What you label reactive power is mostly harmonic power. We also see a DC offset in current measurement, but it has no effect on real power measurement as long as it's averaged over full cycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.