Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Effect of Q-Factor on filter performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanCai

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I understand that for inductors the higher the Q-factor the lesser the loss, but may i know for a bandpass filter, other than affecting the insertion loss what other effect does the overall Q of the bandpass filter have on the circuit.

Thank you
Wancai

WanCai said:
Hi,

I understand that for inductors the higher the Q-factor the lesser the loss, but may i know for a bandpass filter, other than affecting the insertion loss what other effect does the overall Q of the bandpass filter have on the circuit.

Thank you
Wancai
Look at the book "HF Filter Design and Computer Simulation",Randall W. Rhea

Effect of elements low Q is illustrated on picture. Thin yellow curves are for lossless elements filter.

From what i understand, the higher the Q, the edge of the bandpass will be more squarish whereas for lower Q, the edge of the bandpass is very roundish. And it seem that if i increase the thickness of the substrate, the Q tends to improve.

But i like to know is that any software that is able to calculate the Q of the tranmission line? I think genesys can do it, but i can't seem to recall how issit been done? Thanks.

Rogers Corp. has a free downloadable program called mwi.exe that can calculate losses of transmission lines. This is only the resistance and dielectric hysteresis losses. It does not calculate the radiation loss.

Here is an example of Genesys Tline module calculation of microstrip line parameter, including unloaded Q

me too,it's very useful

As for band pass filter the width of central lobe (for amplitude to vary b/w h0/√2)
is w0/Q , so higher the value of Q sharper will be the response around w0 and hence in general better response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back