Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EEproms - ways they can be put to good use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducados

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
EEproms

Hello everyone, I have a question about EEproms. As far as I can see, they're used for storing data (about 1k), they're a little slow to write to (although there are flash versions a little faster) and my question is, are there any other ways they can be put to good use. I do a bit of pic programming with the microchip pickit 2 and MPLab IDE and have aquired an eeprom programmer with some sample eeproms.

EEproms

I guess you are talking about the i2c eeprom. remember that there is the on-board eeprom but only 256 byte. either way it is fast enough for most application. I suggest you experiment with them since u've got the tools. good luck.

Re: EEproms

Microchips SPI EEPROMs can clock at 20MHz and hold up to 1M bits.

I have an application in mind that needs a very long serial data stream and the 25 series chips have automatic address incrementing so by just giving them a starting address and then toggling the clock pin it should be possible to create serial data directly from the data output pin.

Brian.

Re: EEproms

Hi,

Don't forget the Pickit2 can program a selection of EEprom chips - see the Read Me in the Pk2 application.

While 256 bytes of eeprom is common on many 16F chips, a good few of the 18F chips come with 1K bytes, some up to 4K bytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.