Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EEPROM size & Managed Mode vs Unmanaged Mode Ethernet Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to understand 2 points in Ethernet Switch ICs.
In this IC - LAN9353, on page 34, the description in the table is mentioned.
"A low selects 1K bits (128 x 8) through 16K bits (2K x 8). A high selects 32K bits (4K x 8) through 512K bits (64K x 8)."
Does the above indicate the size of an external EEPROM or does it indicate the size of an internal EEPROM inside the LAN9353.
Second question:
In this IC - KSZ8863, It is mentioned in that the switch can be in managed mode and unmanaged mode. Can someone tell me the difference between the two modes? What is the meaning of managed mode and unmanaged mode.

Hi,

EEPROM: I didn´t read the whole datasheet. But most probably it´s the size of the external EEPROM.
(I guess bigger sized EEPROM have a (slightly) different protocol. So indeed the switch adjusts the protocol)

Please do an internet search "managed vs unmanaged switch"

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.