Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

eeprom(serial or parallel) or NVRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortunesoldier

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am designing an microcontroller board in which I need a memory array for storing some parameters, which I analyse later, after I download them towards to the PC. The memory dimension or lenght of the buffer should be somewhere around 400kbytes. The other significant factor which I have to take into account is the data integrity(noise, spikes harsh conditions). The speed is not so important because I take the parameters every 5 minutes. So, is it better to use a couple of huge 24Cxx eeproms or maybe a parallel variant of the eeproms, or I could use the NVRam chips from Dallas or similar? Or maybe a flash chip. My microcontroller is an 8051 type, so if someone can recomend me the simplest and the most appropriate solution for this problem.

See Atmel and Microchip, web pages, they have serial flash eproms with 512Kx8 bytes and more!!!!

8O

FLASH is better here

Hi,
I feel Flash is a better solution for your requirement. Mainly NVRAM is used to keep/store the crash/history/debug data. It is a costly solution too. Flash is cheap, popular and easily available in all the ranges/capacity. Programming/reprogramming is far better than any EEPROM available. Now a days FLASH is available with combined NAND and NOR technology, so same can be used for boot code and application CODE.

ms

FLASH is better here

Hi,
I feel Flash is a better solution for your requirement. Mainly NVRAM is used to keep/store the crash/history/debug data. It is a costly solution too. Flash is cheap, popular and easily available in all the ranges/capacity. Programming/reprogramming is far better than any EEPROM available. Now a days FLASH is available with combined NAND and NOR technology, so same can be used for boot code and application CODE.

AMD, FUJITSU,ST Microelectronics web sites will be having more info on it..

ms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back