Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EEPROM communication without Arduino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am using ADAFRUIT 24LC32 i2C EEPROM. I want to program the EEPROM from my laptop without connecting it to Arduino.
My idea is to have a USB to i2c connection and write HEX values to it.
Can you please suggest some ways on how I can achieve that. Thank you.

Hi,

I really don´t know what information you are after.

I2C is quite a standard protocol.
and the EEPROM comes with a datasheet.

HEX is just a representation.
so
* Hex 0x41,
* binary 0b01000001,
* decimal 65,
* or char "A"
... and so on
will all result in the same EEPROM content.

Hardware:
* GND
* VCC (voltage according EEPROM specification)
* SCL (usually with external pullup)
* SDA (usually with external pullup)

Klaus

HI Klaus. Thank you for your reply..

The information I am after is programming the EEPROM chip without using an Arduino. I can use another program or a connector like USB-i2c to communicate to the EEPROM chip.

I want to program it without using an Arduino. I do have an Arduino but the application restricts me to use to right now.

Your input is highly appreciated.

Hi,

Sounds like you think it's standard to program an EEPROM with an Arduino.
But EEPROMs existed decades before Arduino was "invented".
So it´s quite usual to program an EEPROM without an Arduino.

So all you have to do:
* supply the EEPROM with power
* connect it to an I2C master (whatever you want to use)
* follow the EEPROM´s datasheet informations on how to program the EEPROM.

It´s nothing new, done many million times since decades. Tutorials, even videos are available for free.
Did you try a youtube search for "how to program an i2c eeprom -arduino"?

Please be more clear what information you need.

Klaus

Just about all USB IC programmers will work with EEPROM as well as MCUs. They all have different timings and programming protocols but electrically they are very similar so the same hardware works for most types.

Example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265532437360?hash=item3dd2f77370:g:GwoAAOSw7R1hEjT3&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4KhqBtPTzG82B1VUx2gQVm+ipMTp47WQjIW4abZizSBPXQIK44ixpjtnt58kydmlOawqya7uvEXMxWxrk2Z3u7fozhEeIOg9ngod05H3Ucsi6zwv+NMsofH4hIh5qQObgSPius6I17YFOUjqhNbV3JZs1gJjBQwNZdzmq5kNHRUZXUWhzXVXJUlyK7WKBWlHWImSXN0xu9e3cwr6rQDH7PMX9ne0OVo00ftxTfiRiKWCmz2a7A+H3BAqE1xuDd6yfa5TrtVhou7i/n3pgbpKAmtLulN97/tKgyCUHwSJ+xiW|tkp:BFBMuo_qucNg

Note that you normally produce the hex file first, either as the output of an assembler/compiler/editor then program the IC when the file is complete.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.