Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Educated guess about pictured old equipment, please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It is nearby 1960. Posted here as smells like RF, but expert opinions may come with better clue. It is to help clear a controversial discussion.

Attachments

• Armarios.jpeg
    Armarios.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 119

I think the machine is not related to RF, and seems to be a rotary offset printing machine.
A small one, because these printing machines (used sometime for printing newspapers) could be much bigger.

For me it doesn't look like a printing machine. Printing machines have a paper path, either reel or sheet.

I would also guess about RF related. Does anyone remember which company the AEL logo stands for?

Yes, could be.
From the net I found that: "In February 1996, Tracor acquired AEL Industries, an electronic warfare systems and components manufacturer"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tracor

And later Tracor was acquired by Marconi. And Marconi business was mainly RF related.

If you look carefully you can see the end flange of a bit of 5" coax (spare section?) sitting on top of the cabinet. At a guess I would say its two amplifiers with the combing cubicle in the middle. Power 5-20 KW, frequency MF -> VHF, looks more like VHF, could be FM or TV.
Frank

:cool:It is an RF bay in the range of 20 to 50KW. On the right it appears to be an environmental cylindrical chart recorder to monitor RH & temp. Which can affect the transmitter greatly. The dust grating overhead was also critical to prevent arcing in RF high power transmitters.

AEL in this era could have been medical RF, or Navy communicators to early generation drones. In any case, I like the mobile pallets and his pipe:-D for heavy cable hidden-routing...

AEL (American Electronic Laboratories)
Lansdale, PA 19446
(215) 822-2929

AEL was founded by Dr. Leon Riebman and Conrad Fowler in 1950. The basis for the original business was medical products. Growing out of defense contracts, broadcast transmitters came to be a product line until approximately 1979.

AEL still exists, but mostly as a part of defense contractor Cobham Defense Systems, the broadcast areas of interest long sold off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back