Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Easy USB CDC solution with PIC 18F2550

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgq

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Forget all USB-MODx and FTDI chips !
This is an easy-to-use USB CDC solution with PIC 18F2550 (samples available :D )

- Blink led 20 times on PORTA.0 (pin2) if 'b' character sent to PIC
- echo other character sent to PIC

Modified CCS C source files, hex file for pic, inf file and sch included in zip file

microchip cdc driver

It is not just the chip to consider but also the software support. Writing windows drivers for usb is not a trivial task. Taking FTDI as an example, they have free, constantly improved and updated drivers for their products for download, that support all the mainstream operating systems.

Reactions: aa8341

aa8341

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

pic18f2550 cdc

btbass said:
Writing windows drivers for usb is not a trivial task.

Microchip provides the drivers for the USB-enabled PICs too (at least for Windows). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

V

mchpcdc.inf

btbass said:
Writing windows drivers for usb is not a trivial task.
No driver needed with CDC !
You just need .inf file included and you have another brand new virtual COM port just like FTDI

Added after 2 minutes:

kender said:
Microchip provides the drivers for the USB-enabled PICs too (at least for Windows). Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Microchip doesnt provide a driver for USB/CDC communication, but only the .inf file that use a generic driver provided with Windows.

Reactions: kender

V

kender

pic usb cdc

PIC 18F2455 and PIC 18F2550 hex files

usb cdc

Hi TGQ, I want to know that can we modify the code & use is as a USB to COM port usnig the D9 Male Pin.

If it is possible, then give it to me.

Bye ,
PRAVARDHAN

pic usb

Do you have the pic code. If I plug the pic it will be a new COM port, so I can use visual basic to work with it. do I need a driver?

18f2550 cdc

snaider said:
Do you have the pic code.
see zip file above

snaider said:
If I plug the pic it will be a new COM port, so I can use visual basic to work with it.
Yes !

snaider said:
do I need a driver?
No, driver CDC is windoze included

cdc pic

Heh... this solution (I mean PIC18F-USB) has at least 2 years... but anyway... good job for someone who need simple USB communication.

usb cdc pic

An interesting fact to be kept in mind when using USB is:

There is no guaranteed data rate with any USB protocol.

Polymath

pic18 usb cdc

Do you have the Code for C18/MPLAB?
thanks

mchpcdc.inf download

Succesfully compiled Easy PIC USB CDC , why on first attachment of USB cable to WinXP, Windows start up the New Device Wizard ? What do i miss ?
No cure to copy the mchpcdc.inf file to WINDOWS/INF subdir.
Shall i modify the INF file to cope with some parameters in PIC 18f2550 firmware ?
What exactly means file NoticeEasyCDC.txt by saying " set manual installation with mchpcdc.inf file" ?
Sorry folks, but i am quite new to USB, i have to learn more.
Thanks in advance
Giorgio

pic usb communication

Thanks for nice code. This working very well. I am searching code for last 5 days. My own code is not working.

If you can please tell me how I can edit .inf file

cdc usb pic

Thanks for your sharing, this code works succesfully in vista. I try it in a board everything ok :)

Re: Easy PIC USB CDC

Hello,

We are two students elektronical engineering and we are also trying to make an usb-connection with a PIC microcontroller.
We use the CDC-library delivered by microchip and PIC18F2455. We have a little problem: when we compile your source, we have some errors. We can't find the library usb_cdc.h used in your project!

What tools have you used to make this working? We have used MPLAB and c18-compiler and we have installed the usb-framework delivered by microchip!

greetz,
Robain & Cardoen constructs :p

Re: pic cdc

Hi tgq.

I compiled your project in Ccs 4.93. If programmed my PIC, run it and connect it to my computer it's asking for the driver.
So I show where the driver is but the hardware can't be installed by windows!!
When I take your Hex file and program it into the PIC. It runs askes for the driver and installs it. It works perfectly.
Do you no anny issous regarding the Ccs compiler or is there somthing I miss??

Thanks in advance, Mic

You can find driver from the DRIVER folder of CCS root folder.

Good Luck.

Hi .I'm new to c language .I´ve tried to compile the code suplied but with no sucess .I´m using ccs v4.104 but always give me a warning and when i burn pic
no answer from host pc .If i burn pic with the suplied hex file it works fine but i want to change de code so i can use it for my application .I apreciate some help,please.[/b]

Added after 8 minutes:

when i use the supplied example from ccs i get the warning :interrupts disable during call to prevent re-entrance .I think this is not normal cause i´m using an example so it should compile with no error or warnings ..

ironman7 said:
Hi .I'm new to c language .I´ve tried to compile the code suplied [/b]

gumamela7?

HI
how can I use PIC 18F 452 with this application. what must I change in th HW and SW
please help me and sorry for my bad english

Status
Not open for further replies.