Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle rectangles and PCB's

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyrohaz

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey guys,
I asked before about using rectangles in eagle and got a pretty good answer, i'd really appreciate it if you guys would help me out one last time on my PCB design.

My design is 4 pads on my PCB each with a 10meg resistor connected and a jumper. Its to use with the Arduino capacitive touch sensor code.

I've used rectangles to create the pads on the top layer and vias connected to "test pads" to connect the rectangles to the resistors on the underside.

I will include both schematic and PCB design. I'm using the Sparkfun eagle design rules.

I know that they spring up errors on "overlaps" which I presume are from the vias IN the test pads. Could somebody verify if this will be ok to send off to a PCB fab? I'm going to use PCBWing.

Thanks,
Harris

Attachments

• Pads.zip
    16.1 KB · Views: 47

You have some missing junctions in the schematic - run the ERC and it will show you.

A better way of doing the pads would be to use a polygon rather than a rectangle. Then you can name the polygon with the net name required and the connection will show up in the ratsnest. You will also get no errors that way. I would also have used a via to connect to the top side not a test point, and put the via outside the touch area.

Keith

Thank you very much Keith!

I appreciate that now using polygons is a million times better than rectangles but i've already made my larger version of these pads (25 pads!) and don't feel like changing all the pads to polygons.

I've sorted the junction check using the ERC so thanks there, the testpads are connected to the resistors and are on the bottom side of the board, its just the vias that connect "through" the test pads onto the top of the board, would a PCB fab have any problem with this? I merely want to replace the testpads with vias, eagle just didn't let me attach nets to vias!

I've sorted the junction check using the ERC so thanks there, the testpads are connected to the resistors and are on the bottom side of the board, its just the vias that connect "through" the test pads onto the top of the board, would a PCB fab have any problem with this? I merely want to replace the testpads with vias, eagle just didn't let me attach nets to vias!

There won't be any problem making it. To make a via connect to a net, simply "NAME" it with the net name you want. You will then get a ratsnest for it.

Keith

Thats perfect, thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back