Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EAGLE pro: Schem and layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello.

When making a pcb footprint, do you add a placeholder for the "R1" thingy by going ">NAME"

and do you need to add a ">VALUE" thingy?

.....what would the ">VALUE" thingy mean in the pcb layout editor?

Parts creation is strange in Eagle, you create the symbol, package( footprint) AND THEN marrying them together by creating the DEVICE.

>NAME will be translated to R1, R2, C1, C2 etc. later on. In the DEVICE creation, you'll be asked what Prefix you use, if you put C, then the name become C1, C2 etc.

Value is the part name. I don't put anything in value for package(footprint) as I don't want the stuff to show on the silkscreen.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks,

By the way, can i import board shapes from DXF files, or whatever the mech guys call them?

Hello.

When making a pcb footprint, do you add a placeholder for the "R1" thingy by going ">NAME"

and do you need to add a ">VALUE" thingy?

.....what would the ">VALUE" thingy mean in the pcb layout editor?
Yes, you should use ">name" - it will be replaced by the component "name" when it is placed on the board. Make sure you put it on the NAME layer.

While you can also include ">VALUE" I don't know of anyone who wants the values on the PCB so you can omit it.

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks,

By the way, can i import board shapes from DXF files, or whatever the mech guys call them?

Have a look at the ULPs on the Cadsoft site - type DXF in the search box. There are a few which may be useful.

Keith.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back