Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Eagle footprint for 12V DC jack required

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcsandhya82

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am new to eagle and am trying out my first design. Can someone tell me where to find the footprint for the 12V DC jack which has aprox 7mm diameter?

Thanks and regards,
Sandhya.

I am not sure exactly what DC jack you mean, but there are some in the library con-jack.lbr and some in con-conrad.lbr

Keith.

Hi, I found DCJ0202. But I m not able to make out the meaning of the symbol. Could you please tell me what are terminals 1,2,and 3?

I believe pin 1 is the centre pin, pin 2 would normally go to your internal power source (battery) and pin 3 to the circuit. When you insert the plug the battery will be disconnected from the circuit and the circuit is powered by the external power source. If you don't need that feature simply ignore pin 2.

It would be best to check the connections of your connector with a multimeter as it may be different. I know some switch the centre pin.

Keith.

Hi,
I have done it and placed the jack in my design. Now, could you please check my design once? is there any potential flaws? I am attaching it here.

Attachments

• 7805_Brd.rar
    44.4 KB · Views: 134

It looks OK. Your tracks are rather thin for a power supply though.

Keith.

so, if I use 0.020" for all the tracks, will that be sufficient? and is there a way to change the track width? I went to change ->width -> .024". but that gives me lots of clearance errors in DRC. Can I auto route it with a selected trackwidth?

oh, i found that. in DRC. now could you take a look at it? Somehow I am not able to get the ground plane correct, though i had done it previously. It just refuses to form a polygon. :( Also, can't i move around parts on a board once routed?

Attachments

• 7805_025Track.rar
    44.5 KB · Views: 62

Sandhya,

A few comments:

1. you seem to have all the tracking on the top now - before you had the ground plane on the bottom

2. you have a surplus track that goes round the whole board but doesn't connect to anything.

3. you now have three ground planes on the top.

4. you have changed the minimum width in the design rules to 26mil. I cannot see any reason for that.

I have changed the ground plane back to the bottom, removed the two extra ground planes and changed the design rule to 10mil minimum width.

Keith.

Attachments

• power2.zip
    50.1 KB · Views: 77

Gee..

Thanks for the corrections.

1. if I put all tracking and ground plane on the top, does that make a difference? I thought single side board might be less costly.

2. The guy who taught me eagle, said that the size of a board is defined by a wire drawn around the board.drawing a wire around a ckt limits routing to within that limits. thats why I took a wire and drew it around the board.I see that s pointless now.

3. That was the result of tring to get the polygon correct. this time, whatever I do, the polygon limited itself to within the tracks, and not outside it. i tried thrice, and ended up with three ground planes.

4. I wanted the track width to increase while auto routing. and I thought changing minimum width in DRC is the way to do it. how did you do it?

Thanks.

I will give a more detailed reply later when I can look again at your layout but for now:

1. The outline of the PCB is drawn in layer 20 not in routing layers. You already have that.

2. If you want a single sided board you must put all tracks on the BOTTOM otherwise you won't be able to solder them.

3. Don't use autorouters unless you can manually route well. Component placement is critical to good routing. If you want to set wider minimum track widths you need to read up on NET CLASSES in Eagle.

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks a lot. So this design is good to send to a fab house now?

If you want it to be single sided then you need to move all the tracks to the bottom. There is only one GND track that is then unrouted, so I have routed that as well. I haven't added a ground plane - I am not sure there is much benefit.

Keith.

Attachments

• power3.zip
    49.6 KB · Views: 63

Hi,

Thanks a lot, Keith. You have been of great help and inspiration.

did you route that manually?

---------- Post added at 06:17 ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 ----------

Hi,

Also, when I try to add a ground plane , (I draw a polygon around the ckt and click ratsnest), the ground plane fills the polygon, but when I rename it as GND, it shrinks to the space within the circuit tracks. When I try to delete the GND plane using the delete button, it pops an error messaage - "can not back annotate this operation. please do this in the schematic." Then I have to take undo from edit in the menu bar.

why does this happen?

Hi,

Thanks a lot, Keith. You have been of great help and inspiration.

did you route that manually?

There was only one track to route - I simply moved all the to tracks you had routed to the bottom for the rest.

If I manually routed it I would move the components a bit first - see attached.

Your problem with deleting polygons is possibly that you are not actually trying to delete the polygon. When you ratsnest and the polygon shrinks (to prevent unconnected "islands") the polygon is still defined by the original outline. So, if you are clicking on the part you can see it could be a long way from the actual outline so EAGLE thinks you are trying to delete the nearest track. Tracks cannot be "deleted" they must be "ripped up" which leaves the ratsnest connectivity intact. To delete the polygon you need to click near the edge of the original polygon you drew. One way to see that is to quit and come back into Eagle. You will be able to see the outline as long as you don't ratsnest it.

Keith.

Attachments

• power4.zip
    49.5 KB · Views: 60

Hi,

That is much more neater than the mess i have created :)

I was able to delete polygon in my other designs. But somehow the problem continues in this design.

Here is another board I created following a tutorial of SparkFun. I want to mirror it, print it and etch on a copper board. But could you tell me if I can remove those numbers from the pads? is it something related to layers? of should i edit the parts in the library to remove the pad numbers?

Also, Sparkfun has a new .cam file at https://www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/BeginningEmbedded/9-EaglePCBs/sfe-gerb274x.cam. I want to use that. I downloaded it into C:\Program Files\EAGLE-5.10.0\cam folder. but I am not able to access it in the cam ->open->job . it simply does not appear. tried adding directory in the control panel, that too did not work. Any idea?

Attachments

• FT232-Breakout.rar
    20.3 KB · Views: 56

The numbers on the pads can be removed by going to the menu "options" "set" "misc" and unticking "Display pad names".

The CAM job works fine for me. Are you sure you are putting it in the correct place? By default Eagle sets up its directories under "program files" and each new version ends up with a new subdirectory under that. When you go to the CAM processor and "open job" be sure to browse to the location where you put it. If in doubt, put it in the root directory and then you can easily find it. Also, make sure it has a CAM extension when you have finished and hasn't been turned into sfe-gerb274x.cam.txt

Keith.

Hi,

You are really a one stop solution for eagle!!

The pad numbers has vanished. CAM also worked. the path in the control panel was not right. i corrected that and it works fine.

when i process the job using gerb274x.cam and exellon, i get a batch of new files. from this, what i should send to the fab house is, .cmp, .sol,.plc,.stc,.sts,.drd files, right?

---------- Post added at 12:05 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 ----------

Hi,

one more question.. One way I found out following what you said about net classes is that I can specify a new net class and define the track width in schematic->edit -> netclasses. But when I checked your power4 schematic, you have done nothing of that sort. so, did you use the 'change' -> size option to define track width? or is there some other way?

Lib con-conrad Part 733989-5 DC Power Jack 1,1mm
lib con-conrad Part 737992-5 DC Power Jack
lib con-jack Part SPC4078 DC Power Jack 2,5mm i 2,1mm PCB (2D)

I haven't check the CAM output from that CAM job but yes, they should be the files needed for manufacture. Check that it includes the drilling file (.drd or .drl usually). It is a good idea to get used to loading the files you produce into a free Gerber viewer such as GCprevue so you can check that it looks OK before you get it made.

You can set the width of tracks as you go along and even change them part way through routing a net so you can squeeze through a small gap. When you start the track there should be a box at the to showing the width. Simply select a new width in that box and if you don't like any of the options simply type in a new width. You do not need to set NET CLASSES for that. NET CLASSES are useful for autorouting and for DRC. For example, if you say a power track should be 1mm minimum and then route it as 0.5mm the DRC will show the error.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back