Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

E-mails about thread replies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioguru

Advanced Member level 7
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Lately for the last few days I get an e-mail that there is a thread reply and it has a "This Thread is Located At" link. I click on the link and nothing happens. If I copy the link and paste it into a browser then I get only one page of the thread and I cannot scroll the entire thread.
I have Windows 10 and use the latest update of their Edge browser to use my gmail that works fine on every other forum I am on.
This is the link I received today:

Attachments

• EDAboard link.png
    EDAboard link.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 259

Your link has a dotted underline and opens fine. The other link does not have a dotted underline and does not open.
On all other forums a reply shows VIEW THIS THREAD in bright orange and opens when I click on it without showing the link.
Here is what i get on this forum:

- - - Updated - - -

I found another link that does not open. Maybe the text inside brackets is causing it:

Attachments

• EDAboard link again.png
    EDAboard link again.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 242
  • EDAboard link again and again.png
    EDAboard link again and again.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 261

I do not have a copy of Windows to check but it seems that Edge is using dots to show links where most other browsers use a continuous underline and different color. I think you are seeing a bug (or as MS would call them, a "feature") in Edge. Something seems to confuse it about what the HTML regards as a link and what is just text. HTML has quite a distinct method of defining links and I'm not aware of any way it can be accidentally disabled.

Does Edge have a method to show the page source? It would be interesting to see what the underlying text actually holds. It should be something like:
< link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Forum for Electronics RSS Feed" href="https://www.edaboard.com/external.php?type=RSS2" / >
which is taken from this very page but I have added spaces after ' < ' and before ' > ' to stop it being a real link!

Brian.

Since all the other forums work fine and ones here that do not have a bracket in the text of a link work fine, then I think the problem is here.

I don't have a solution but I had a similar problem over a year ago with my PowerMac. Could not navigate from any Edaboard page. (I had a G5 running Safari under OS 10.5.8.)

I clicked Edaboard threads in my browser history. They opened but that's all. My mouse clicks did not register.
Other websites acted okay. My (Windows laptop acted okay so that became the machine I used that to access Edaboard.)

I thought of a few causes. Maybe Edaboard programmers were testing new system routines, and would return the site to normal any day. Perhaps my operating system or browser were suddenly too outdated for modern html.

I tried typical recommendations. Cleared cache and history. Deactivated add-ons. Trashed Preferences file. Removed power from my computer and modem for a few hours.

The problem went away but I can't recall whether it got solved or whether it's because I purchased a MacMini with a newer OSX. I never saw any member report the same problem until today.

This problem continues today. I hope admin gets it fixed soon.

Attachments

• EDAboard Apr26.png
    EDAboard Apr26.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 243

The dotted line is inserted by your browser, it isn't sent as part of the web page. What seems to be happening is Edge can't recognize a hyperlink with brackets in it. The specification does not disallow them so the issue is with the browser, not the page source. I suspect it is more to do with adjacent hyphens and brackets, I've copied the lines below verbatim and with an extra space beside the brackets, what do you see?

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?389768-What-LDO-(Low Voltage Regulator)-do-you-have&goto=newpost
https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?389768-What-LDO- (Low Voltage Regulator) -do-you-have&goto=newpost

Brian.

That is strange!
As I said, I have no experience with Edge, being a Linux only person. I gave up with Windows a long time ago and never looked back.

Does Edge have a debugging feature like Firefox's F12 key that displays the source of the page? It would be interesting to see what the code for good and bad links looks like.

I do design a lot of web pages and I've never had any reports of links not working myself. What is slightly odd is the original text in the post has spaces between words and ordinarily they would be replaced by the ASCII value '&#20' when represented in plain text rather than hyphens.

Brian.

The dotted line is inserted by your browser, it isn't sent as part of the web page. What seems to be happening is Edge can't recognize a hyperlink with brackets in it. The specification does not disallow them so the issue is with the browser, not the page source. I suspect it is more to do with adjacent hyphens and brackets, I've copied the lines below verbatim and with an extra space beside the brackets, what do you see?

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?389768-What-LDO-(Low Voltage Regulator)-do-you-have&goto=newpost
https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?389768-What-LDO- (Low Voltage Regulator) -do-you-have&goto=newpost

Brian.

These URLs are truncated with "-(Low[/url] Voltage Regulator)-do-you-have&goto=newpost" at the end instead of the [/url] after the newpost

- - - Updated - - -

FYI, I don't know if this is relevant, but our companies IT dept removes the Edge browser from the deployed Windows 10 PCs due to Edge having too many issues along with day 1 exploits that don't get resolved immediately as it gets updated on the windows update schedule. At least that is what our IT dept tells me. I don't use Edge, so I don't know how true that statement is.

The same problem is back again today. I receive an email that there is a reply to a thread here that says, "this thread is located at https//www etc. and when I click on it my gmail does nothing. If I copy the URL and paste it into a browser then it works.

The HTML to PHP interface says everything after the '?' is passed to the interpreter and the '&' delimits individual parameters. There is nothing that makes any specific word do anything.

However, I suspect the problem is the apostrophe in "don't" is fooling it into thinking the parameter list ends there so the end of the text isn't being parsed. This would make it a PHP issue and I'm not sure what version Edaboard uses on its servers. It is a frequently updated language so I would think it is fixed in later versions. The latest release is 7.4.6 dated May 14, 2020.

Brian.

If you type don't instead for the "don-t" from the link it gets changed automatically back to don-t. So something changed between the other day and now for doing this character swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back