Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dual gate mosfet as rf switch????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanosR123

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am currently trying to perform backscattering modulation for an RF link operating at the UHF band. The data rate that I intend to use is low (audio signals). Could I use a dual gate mosfet as a shunt switch at the terminals of the backscatterer antenna? Do I have to control both gates every time a bit is sent?
Any ideas for my design?

Thanks in advance,
Pan

You can use a dual-gate MOSFET for this application, even for higher frequencies than audio.
You don't have to control both gates, just one, (usually the gate nr 2) when the other gate has a constant voltage bias.

You can try the dual-gate mosfet but a better device is a PIN diode. At UHF band, you can use PIN diodes from an UHF TV tuner, such diodes need a forward current of ~ 5-10 mA to represent a UHF "short-circuit", and a reverse bias of 2-3V as "open circuit". I have tried such device ~25 years ago and it works.
For suitable PIN diodes, you can also check Philips, I used their PIN diodes, too.
If your RF power is < 10 mW, you can even try a detector diode pulsed through ~1 kOhm from a TTL signal; try one polarity giving the best modulation. To modulate your antenna with a PIN diode, from a TTL signal I would reduce the resistor to ~100 Ohms.

Your comments are really helpfull. I am aware of PIN switching, but I can't use it because it requires a relatively high current (~mA) while the power consumption of the backscattering system must be as low as possible (< 1 mA). This is the reason why I've been thinking of the dual gate mosfet as the most suitable solution. I might try using the detector diode in order to find out if this method results to a sufficient modulation depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back