Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

dsPIC with JDM programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

khansaab21

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
Can dsPIC be programmed by a JDM style programmer??

Hi,

Look up Optimist in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.

"An Optimist is a person with a positive outlook on life" :D

khansaab21

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Excuse me sir Mr. wp100
I am really not able to understand what are you trying to tell me in regard of my posted question.

khansaab21 said:
Excuse me sir Mr. wp100
I am really not able to understand what are you trying to tell me in regard of my posted question.

Thats a sarcastic way to say, Yes, JDM can program dsPIC!!

khansaab21

Hi,

khansaab21 wrote:
Excuse me sir Mr. wp100

Sorry, I was being more flippant than sarcastic - it may be possible to program a dspic with a JDM programmer, but you only have to read the many entries in this forum about JDM and Pic programmers generally to realise that is not the way to go.

There are are many problems with the JDM: - will the serial port on your PC work with the JDM : can you find a program to run the JDM that has the device info to program the DSPIC you have etc etc.

Strongly suggest if you want to build your own then look at the Pickit2 Lite again detailed in this forum.

While many may come in and say the JDM does work with your dspic, then I would say ask for a proven copy of their own circuit and software that does so.

Have tried 2 jdms myself on 2 PC without success, finally getting things working with a PicAll P16PRO40 parallel programmer that used WinPic software.
Can send you details of that if you like.
I finally bought a Microchip Pickit2 and that was my best buy ever, even made a diy Lite verison as backup.

Actaually I have worked with a JDM programmer along with the serial port of my PC. They both are working fine.

Secondly, programmers requiring parallel port wont do any good to me as I have already damaged the parallel port of my PC when I was working with a 8051 based system.

Finally, I have been seeing the name of PicKit2 alot with dsPIC programming. I cant directly buy Pickit2 due to budget constraints. And the circuits I have seen of it will be quiet cumbersome to make. Can you please give me the easiest working version of Pickit2.

if this one is too expensive for you, then I dont know what you can make with electronics... :

**broken link removed**

Hi,

This is the one I built , there are identical versions on this site, one of them does have a good pcb layout but cannot find it just now...

If you can buy and program the 18F2550 on your jdm then the other parts are really cheap. ( a 4550 should also work)

Be aware that this can do most things a prebuilt Pickit2 can do, but it can only do chips at 5v.

Attachments

• pk2mini_1218.jpg
    pk2mini_1218.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 157

This seems a little nice and I can attempt to make it. Now a few more queries have arised.

1. Does the the PIC18F2550 has to be trained from a simple serial programmer like JDM??

2. From where can I get the working and compatible firmware for PIC18F2550. I am asking this because there are quiet a few versions of the firmware available on the Micrchip website.

3. Finally which programming software to use?? Currently I am using winpic800 but it doesnt list Pickit2.

Hi,

Everything for the Microchip Pickit2 is here - all the downloads at the bottom of the page.
**broken link removed**

The Pickit2 can be run directly from Mplab IDE as a programmer or debugger or as an independant programmer by its own program Pickit2 V2.61 which also contains all the utilities and extra program like Usart tool and Logic Analyzer.

The Firmware V2.32 is the program to burn into the 18F2550, which shows up in the device list of the WinPic800 program you have.

WinPic800 also shows Dspic as being listed - assume you have not tried to program one ? - if it does work then why build PK2 ..

khansaab21

Mr wp100, you have been very helpful. And I guess I have no further questions. Just wanted to tell you that, I want to build this programmer because, if I use serial port of my computer, then I have to disconnect external LAN (and possibly other peripherals). In other words, serial port of my PC is really messed up as it absorbs more than usual amount of power from the supply.

Lastly, can you please tell me, whether this programmer can program both 5V and 3.3V devices or just 5V devices??

Hi,

The prebuilt Microchip Pickit2 will handle all the Pic chip voltages from 2.5v to 5v

This DIY Pickit will only handle the 5V chips, it is possible to add on parts to make it handle lower voltages, but they are more difficult to get and then its probably the same price as buying a ready made unit.

These recent threads show how you can make the Diy Pickit2 run at lower voltages - However I have not tried those modifications .
See also Fragrances diagrams near the end of the second link.

Status
Not open for further replies.