Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DSP Processors- Beginner - request for resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronic_engineer

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
DSP Processors- Beginner

Hi Guys,

I am new to processor design world, I have never worked on DSP processors but now I need to work on DSP processors. Please suggest me some ways about how to start with.

Million of thanks in advance.

BR,
EE

Re: DSP Processors- Beginner

You can start with Digital Signal Processing and Applications with the TMS320C6713 and TMS320C6416 DSK (Topics in Digital Signal Processing) or Real-Time Digital Signal Processing: Based on the TMS320C6000

alpuslu said:
You can start with Digital Signal Processing and Applications with the TMS320C6713 and TMS320C6416 DSK (Topics in Digital Signal Processing) or Real-Time Digital Signal Processing: Based on the TMS320C6000

Thanks Alpuslu. Actually, I did work with 8051 only once long before but now didn't remember any thing. Do you think, handeling this book will be easier for me ?

Programming a DSP processor is like programming any processor. You need to know its instructions. Moreover, new processors have c compilers that can be programmed in C just any like embedded processor.

amraldo said:
Programming a DSP processor is like programming any processor. You need to know its instructions. Moreover, new processors have c compilers that can be programmed in C just any like embedded processor.

Can you please tell me about any Free Simulator that let me to write the Code over it and show the results, for example, results of FFT or Filter ?

It depends on your target DSP processor.
I used a TI dual core (ARM + DSP) called Davinci. I was lucky to program on the DSP directly.
DSP processors of TI can be programmed used a tool called Code Composer Studio.
Check it.

amraldo said:
It depends on your target DSP processor.
I used a TI dual core (ARM + DSP) called Davinci. I was lucky to program on the DSP directly.
DSP processors of TI can be programmed used a tool called Code Composer Studio.
Check it.

(ARM + DSP) means DSP and Microcontroller unit in one package ?

Is Code Composer Studio a simulator ?

Added after 3 minutes:

I haven't selected any processor yet, actually I need to select a processor for my application. I would like to build a Real Time FFT Display Unit that will compute 2048- Point FFT. Without having good knowlwdge about DSP, I can't select the processor... :cry:

ARM + DSP in 1 chip
Code Composer Studio is IDE from TI and can simulate processor internals just like Keil and other IDEs for microcontrollers

You can start with c5505 from texas instruments.It has 10 bit integrated analog to digital converter.You can buy TMDX5505EZDSP board to delevop your applications.This packet includes code composer studio and very cheap.For more details try to google it.

alpuslu said:
You can start with c5505 from texas instruments.It has 10 bit integrated analog to digital converter.You can buy TMDX5505EZDSP board to delevop your applications.This packet includes code composer studio and very cheap.For more details try to google it.

Thanks Alpuslu.

One thing I would like to ask, how can we be sure that any processor can perform 1024 or 2048 points FFT ? Lets suppose, I have a 32 bit procossor, does it mean it can perfoem 2^32 bit point FFT ? Or how can we get this information ?

Status
Not open for further replies.