Not open for further replies.

Faizan Tahir Butt

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
difference equation dsp

What is the difference between a Differential equation and a Difference equation?

Re: DSP

differential equations must conatian terms with their rate of change like dy/d,it may also contain terms with intergeral ∫f(x)dx,these equations r mostly used for analog system containing capacitors,resistors n inductor kind of things.
on other hand difference equations r like this y[n] = x[n]+ x[n-1]-y[n-1] kind of terms,these equaions r used for digital systems

Hi all:

I have a very basic question about difference equations. I seem to be going in circles trying to find the answer online.

1. if someone asks you to obtain the difference equation of a low pass filter with cut of freq say 60Hz, how would one go about doing it? Once you get the difference equation you can write the software, but I just can't remember how to get the difference equation.

2. The coefficients for the difference equations are scaling factors right?
I mean, if y = a1x + a2x(n-1), the coeff's are scaling factors for signals x and x(n-1), correct?

Someone please help me!

Status
Not open for further replies.