Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ds89c420 Serial Port problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

semion_z

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

Last Year I have built a project that is based on philips 8xC51RC+ microcontroller from 8051 family. The project works fine but i have recently discovered that the dalls ds89c420 can extremely raise my work spped so i got a couple of them.
My system includes some electronics hardware and pc with program that controls it.
I have compiled my 8051 files using KEIL for ds89c420 and burned it in via DATA IO/48+ programmer but it doesnt work.
The chip itself works fine , if i give hime to do a pulse function but i cant comunicat with it using the serial port.
What can be a problem?

DS89C420 is full backward compatible with 8051. It will only need slight modification to adapt an old 8051 program into DS89C420.

Compare the datasheets of the two microcontrollers, maybe you missed something.

You can't communicate via serial port? In what way? The bootloader or you created a program to access the serial port?

Can't say without more details of your setup and connection, but try browsing these posts:

Cheers,
FoxyRick.

The program that i greated earlier comunicated with the hardware via the RS232 port at 57600 baud rate. Now I have tried to esteblish comunication with a ds89c420 but didnt succeded in that.
I didnt need the bootloader bacause i have a programmer.

maybe i need to change something in my comunication defaulst?
can someone send me a piece of code that configures the serial port at ds89c420?

Hi
finally i have suceeded in comunicating with my ds89c420 but thre are soe probelms :

1) my last code was written via Keil C language and ds89c420 doesnt understand some C commands like "case" and maybe others. I had to change large prts of the code inside. Does soeone has idea why is that?

My working baud rate is 115200 and it works fine.

Hi simeon_z

The microcontroller DS89C420 wont understand your C case statement. Just because it's using the object code generated by the compiler. For specific case statement it will be a lot of mnemonics code for microcontroller. Try parsing the lst file to see exactly what the microcontroller is doing during the case statement wrote in HLL language. You can even use the simulator provided by ke*il compiler for a closer feeling.
Try first with some simple application provided by developer of compiler:
h**p://w*w.ke*il.com/download/docs/sys420_example.zip.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.