Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

@ds moment:how to simulate with different size of layers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirek

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to simulate a structure which consists of 2 layers. Top layer is smaller than bottom (not thickness - X,Y size;see picture).
I'd like to simulate buried microstrip which is connected to usual microstrip (to add port).
I hope, I decribed it clearly.... 8) if not - let me know.
How to do it in @ds moment? Is it possible in any EM simulators?
model_niec2.jpg

Re: @ds moment:how to simulate with different size of layers

Hi Mirek

I'm not sure if this will be accurate, but you can do the following.

1) Do one "Strip line" design in momentun for the first half.(use a lot lot of
points and a high mesh value).

2) Save this desing by using "EM CO Simulation" from the Monentum tab
click "menu"--> "component" --> "create/update". This will make an
S-parameter file that you can select from the library.

3) Do the same for the "Microstrip" half.

4) Go back to the schematic window and put these to together
and do an S-parameter sim.

or you can call the ADS tech support line.

Hope this helps and works.

This is not 2D simulation. Momentum can only calculate one substrate function. Therefore this structure should be simulated in two parts. Each part is simulated with different substrate function.

Then both of them are put in a schematic view cascade connection with their respective s-parameters and simulated.

It's very simple.

I don't think you can use Momentum at all. The suggested solutions will be some approximation, it is better than nothing, but not a realistic response will be achieved. It is like simulating two separate, infinite length line, so the parameters of each line is determined correctly. However, the transition (discontinuity) between the lines is not taken into account, this is a problem with proposed methods. You won't account for it when joining two simulations. The discontinuity itself is 3D, so Momentum is not the tool for the job.

flyhigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back