Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driver for high power IGBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagajack

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am using a SEMIKRON IGBT for my 5kW H-bridge inverter.
Which driver is best for 1200V/100A IGBT gate?
1.Pulse transformer
2.Optocoupler

Thanks.

Best depends on timing requirements, which you have not mentioned.
Simplest would be a driver IC. Transformer may require en extra active pulse build-up circuit. Between opto-coupler and transformer, opto may be easier to implement practically.

Thanks for your response.
My inverter operating frequency is 10kHz with 50% duty ratio. But how to drive a hide side switch using optocoupler?
Is totem-pole a better solution. If so how it could be implemented?

There are opto-couplers available with totem pole output, you may use them. Otherwise an optocoupler with transistor output can be used drive a totem-pole that will in turn drive the high side MOSFET.

Could 4 optocouplers with individual isolated supply be used to to drive my H bridge?

I presume that the IGBT datasheet suggests gate drive parameters (voltage, gate resistance). What is it? I guess for the a 100 A IGBT, bipolar gate voltage drive, e.g. +/- 15 V or +15/-8V is suggested. To follow the suggestion, you'll use a gate driver circuit that is capable of bipolar drive. Another important point is actual bus voltage in your application.

Driving high power IGBT's is not like driving a Relay. There are different design rules for 3rd and 4th generation IGBT's where Rg affects speed and power dissipation due to high gate load charges during switching. The best driver is a faster low impedance driver during switching time to minimize transient power loss during switching.

So a driver capable of 100A might need a gate pulse current of many Amps which is not viable with your suggestions.

**broken link removed**

I presume that the IGBT datasheet suggests gate drive parameters (voltage, gate resistance). What is it? I guess for the a 100 A IGBT, bipolar gate voltage drive, e.g. +/- 15 V or +15/-8V is suggested. To follow the suggestion, you'll use a gate driver circuit that is capable of bipolar drive. Another important point is actual bus voltage in your application.

The IGBT I am using is SKM100GB12T4.
The gate resistance Ron=5 ohm and Roff=10 ohm.
The DC bus voltage is 600 V.
Why bipolar gate voltage is recommended for IGBT with gate threshold voltage >5V?
0 to +15 V gate signal could be able to switch the IGBT as desired. Correct me if I am wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Driving high power IGBT's is not like driving a Relay. There are different design rules for 3rd and 4th generation IGBT's where Rg affects speed and power dissipation due to high gate load charges during switching. The best driver is a faster low impedance driver during switching time to minimize transient power loss during switching.

So a driver capable of 100A might need a gate pulse current of many Amps which is not viable with your suggestions.

**broken link removed**

But these drivers are very costlier.

The SKM100GB12T4 has an internal RgINT=7.5 Ohm, adding external 1 Ohm increases slew rate and internal energy per pulse with rising gate resistance.

Gate capacitance vs Gate Voltage is measured in mJ from 1/2CV^2*t for energy required the reverse charge level.

Since module is rated for +/-20V Vg abs. max. and specified operation is +/-15V there may be some benefit to using an avalanche effect driver starting at -15 vs -8V vs 0V in the energy required to switch the gate faster from the region of -8 to +15V is my guess. Avalanche effect drivers are common and do not follow simple linear RC characteristics as driver impedance is not linear. Think of it more as a switched capacitor discharge driver.

The fastest low (ESR & ESL) impedance driver <=1 Ohm is desired for low dissipation in power module but also increases EMI radiation di/dt. So you can now see how switching 100A on module requires switching many Amps on Gate in short period.

igbt.jpgigbt2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.