Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

drive relay with pic16f84a using assemble

Status
Not open for further replies.

yousafzai82

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Microcontrollers

Hi Everyone

I need to design a fuel level sensor. I will receive the data on server. I am planning to send the data through GPRS Modem. I am new in the field someone please answer my FAQs. It is urgent...
The figure below will explain my plan..

52_1264746954.jpg

1)I need 12-16 bit adc, which IC should i use?
2) The data I am getting from ADC0809 is in parallel digital form. How can i convert it to serial form?
3)Where I have to calibrate it? Would it be on IC part or I can do it on server software?
4)Also let me know about interfacing with USB.

Also let me know if someone has some ulternate solution.
Favour from your side will be highly appreciated highly appreciated.

Zahoor Ahmad

Re: Microcontrollers

If you convert your variable resistor level sensor to an analog voltage 0-5V, then you could have a single IC solution.
If you take a look at Microchip you will find a large choice of Microprocessors that have on board A/D converters and serial interfaces, including USB.
Although you can get a 12-bit A/D converter on a Pic chip, a 10-bit resolution converter would be more than adequate.

Microcontrollers

Thank you btbass for your reply.

Please tell me a suitable IC.

Can you tell me what should be the data format for USB? Like will i have to do some more stuff.

Unfortunately, USB programming is not trivial. But Microchip can help, they have a free down-loadable usb software stack that includes examples. You can usually modify an example to suit your application.
A simpler route would be to use rs232 for communication.
You can try all this out for free.
If you are using rs232,
Download MPLAB IDE from Microchip for program development.
Download Hi-Tech C compiler and run it in demo or lite mode.
A suitable Microprocessor would be a Pic16f886.
You can use mplab sim, an integrated simulator to write your code and run it without building any hardware.

I don't think you need to use USB.

You can interface your ADC with a micorcontroller's I/O pins, which supports a GPRS module (eitherly natively or through interfacing to its GPIO).

Why do you want to convert the output from ADC to serial if you just want to transfer the value from your level sensor on GPRS. I don't think it will have any value.

Try using Atmel or PIC microcontroller.
It has built in ADC, you can make use of it to analyse the analog data which you recieve from fuel tank

Microcontrollers

Thank you Hotfukick.....
Please tell me about the right IC no.s which will have 12-16 bit output and the data can be sent through Modem...
I am working with Microcontrollers for the first time soI have problelms with Interfacing stuff.....

Microcontrollers

Thank you btbass and microKernel..

To btbass
i am working on your proposals. Will Interfacing RS232 with a GPRS Modem without any PC send the data???

To microKernel
I was planning to send the data through GPRS Modem, that is why i wanted to interface it with USB and then send it through the modem. If i can send the data through GPRS Module, please tell me in a bit datail how can i interface a microcontroller with a GPRS module as i am working with microcontroller for the first time.

I was planning to send the data through GPRS Modem, that is why i wanted to interface it with USB and then send it through the modem
That will require to have USB host stack support in the microcontroller. You'll need to have a relatively resource rich microcontroller for that. And probably need to buy USB stack. I think that is an expensive approach.

For interfacing a GPRS with 8051 search this forum. e.g.

Microcontrollers

Hi everyone

I am using MAX187 as an ADC and will send the data through RS232 to the PC for check first.
Do i need to code MAX232 as nothing is given about its coding in its datasheet?
Secondly i am facing problem with getting Linear Analog input with a voltage divider. How can i get linear Analog input. Thirdly do i really need to use 555?

The MAX232 used here as a logic level translator. It is usually used to connect RS232 devies to TTL devies. Make sure you understand how both interfaces work.
TTL works on 5 volts and 0 volts for high and low.
RS232 works with a positive voltage (at least 5) for low and a negative voltage for high --they are inverted if you compare the two. Voltages vary depending on power supply and devices used. Take care to protect your chips

**broken link removed**

Thanks gs611
can you tell me something about interfacing ADC with a GPRS modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back