Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Drawing 3D structures in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZincBear

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am very new to HFSS, and all other 3D-EM simulators.

So far i am experienced in ADS, Microwave office and Autocad, and i use autocad as a drawing tool when i need to do EM simulations.

However, when it comes to HFSS, i find the drawing interface terrible, and i have difficulty translating ideas into HFSS.

What is the common practice of simulating 3D structures in HFSS? Do engineers draw the structure in HFSS using coordinates as shown in the examples? Or is there a better way?

Pls advise...thank you!

Drawing in HFSS

Follow some examples provided by the software you will learn.

Re: Drawing in HFSS

HFSS has a really primitive drawing enviroment. I agree with that. If you want to draw complicated structures, I would advise you use autocad or other cad program you are familiar with.

You can import the structure into HFSS and then simulate.
Unfortunately HFSS cannot import meshs (as of V10). So bad, because in FEKO you could import a mesh.

After importing your structure, you will need to heal it. + set boundaries, material types and all that. Healing is the most important to ensure continuities.

the acceptable formats for HFSS imports are STL, dwg, dwf, iges etc.
check under import on the menu.

I believe practice, engineers actually import structures into HFSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back