Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Download modificated code to Pic without disconnect PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sraiderk

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
disconnect icsp programmer from circuit

I make the circuit with 18F452. I want to download my modificated code to Pic without disconnect the pic from my circuit. It is possible. If your answer is yes, please say to me what is added to hardware and software?

do i need to disconnect the icsp pic

sraiderk said:
I make the circuit with 18F452. I want to download my modificated code to Pic without disconnect the pic from my circuit. It is possible. If your answer is yes, please say to me what is added to hardware and software?

If I don´t understand you bad, you want to download the new firmware without disconnect the PIC "fisically", but not "electrically". What I'm trying to said is that you don't have problems in turn off your equipment, move some jumpers and then download your new firmware.
If that is all right, you asked about ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming), you could found a lot of information about it in Microchip's home page (www.microchip.com).
I could't send you the information about your uC becouse I didn't found the 18F452 uC. I know about 18F4520, 18F4523 and 18F4525, but nothing about 18F452.
Is that the right code ?

By,

GuillerMo (AR)

sraiderk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
disconnector pictur

gdaporta,

for example I have writen the below code.it have been working very well.

main(){
while(true)
{
output_high(Green_led);
Delay_ms(1000);
output_low(Green_led);
Delay_ms(1000); //green led flashed at 0.5hz
}
}

this code compiled and downloaded to PIC using epic programmer. Afterthat for example I want to add the below line in my while(true) loop.
x++;

main(){
while(true)
{
output_high(Green_led);
Delay_ms(1000);
output_low(Green_led);
Delay_ms(1000); //green led flashed at 0.5hz
x++;
}
}
afterthat I will compile the new code. Then I want to download new hex code directly to PIC( don't want to use any programmer) . I want to literature So my question is that does it named firmware update?

As ric_vas said, the solution for what you want to do is use a bootloader. This is a code that you must upload only one time in your uC and then you could upload program code via serial interface.
The better thing you could do is search in Microchip website for bootloader and try to find one bootloader code wich has been designed for your uC. The bootloader have some diferencies between diferents uC of the same family.

If you don't found anything, send me a PM and I would try to found something.

By,

GuillerMo (AR)

sraiderk

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Guys,

what I think is that he is actually asking for ICSP ?

No need for a bootloader to be programmed in the first place, if we use ICSP, now... do we ?

I am actually wanting to do this myself :

Well, I mentioned bootloader because he said it should be no need for a programmer... But, of course, you can use ICSP to load your uC in your board, actually that's the meaning of ICSP.

Regards,

Ric

I take it that by "programmer" he meant an external programmer... you know the ones with ZIF sockets.

I just hate them nowdays... takes too much of time to move PICs from ZIPF to socket..

I think ICSP is the best way to go, but I also wanna know if there are any pitfalls associated with it.

Hey... if you could only answer my thread :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back