Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubts about simulating phaseshifters based on BST in IE3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddkrishna

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have few doubts in simulating phaseshifters based on BST in IE3D
* Can materials like BST (εr= 2100) be simulated in IE3D?
* How to define finite dimensions of a dielectric substrate in IE3D, like for simulating a planar structure with dielectric covering only a small portion of the structure?
It would be of gr8 help if someone could give some suggestions on this.

Re: doubt in using IE3D

Hi, ddkrishna:

1. I verified it to be good with Er up to 1000 about 10 years ago. For your Er=2100 case, I tried it on the attached t1.geo file. The results look reasonable. If you have measured data, I would be interested in comparing the results. You can send it to me at jian@zeland.com.
2. The finite dielectrics feature in IE3D is using volume meshing. It seems to me that volume meshing may not converge very fast with such a big difference in Er. If you can consider it as a layer, I do suggest you to use infinite substrate for it. Infinite substrate is modeling it analytically.

regards.

Re: doubt in using IE3D

Hi, ddkrishna:

I forgot to mention to you one thing. Please change the MaxDK in Basic Parameters from 500 to some value larger than 2100. It will affect how we predict the waveguide wavelength for meshing density. If you use the default value of MaxDK, the structure may not be meshed fine enough and you may need to increase the meshing density. Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back