Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Doubt Regarding Phase Frequency Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandkumarcr

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to design a clock recovery ckt for a serial input data. I came accross many materials which implement Phase Frequency detectors using the RS Flip Flop
However I am unable to resolve the fact that it needs a reference clock signal in addition to the existing VCO clk.

My requirement is as follows :-
-> I get a random serial binary data in NRZ format. I need to recover the clock from the data.

I am planning to implement a PLL for the clock and data recovery.
The VCO in my case is a simple 32-bit accumulator with the input as the correcting factor.
The output of VCO is M*(F)/(2^32) where F is the base clk I am using and M is the multiplying factor decided by Phase/Frequency Detector

However I do not get any reference signal alongwith my data. In this case how do I recover the clock?
Or detect the frequency difference b/w clock and my VCO clk ?

Clock recovery (CDR) doesn't work with a standard phase-frequency detectors. It can only refer to the phase of existing edges. That's why it needs a protocol with guaranteed run length, e.g. 8b/10b encoding or withened data.

Xilinx has XAPP250 and XAPP868 dedicated to CDR, other options are by utilizing dynamic phase shift of PLLs (Altera C III and upwards).

Some devices have also a soft CDR option supplied with their hardware SERDES blocks. Hardware CDR is generally available for Gigabit transceivers.

Hi thank you for the reply.
I am referring to the following data sheet(LVDS Serializer Deserializer 15 - 66Mhz) for my design :-
**broken link removed**

In this data sheet there is no mention of ENDEC(Encoder Decoder) as such. Do they use any proprietary encoding scheme ?
I need to design a clock recovery ckt for the deserialization of the data coming in from an LVDS interface.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back