Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Double-delay inverter and its non-linear delay transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirac16

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a double-delay inverter chain as shown in the image. The actual purpose of this inverter chain does not matter for the sake of this question. Each double-delay inverter is formed by parallelizing two small and large inverters. The small inverter can be turned off by a gating control signal clk as shown. When clk=0 (and clkb=1) the small inverter is on and its parallel connection with the large inverter (formed by M3 and M4) makes a small delay inverter. When clk=1 (and clkb=0) the small inverter is turned off and the delay becomes the delay of the large inverter. That is how it works.

figures.png

There is something I cannot understand though. According to my simulations, the actual delay transition from fast to slow does not change linearly. In other words, the delay is observed to be non-linear and for the given double-delay inverter it further depends on whether the input at the instance clk rises is rising or falling. Where does that non-linearity come from? I would guess it might be due to the different turn-off times of the gating transistors M5 and M6. But they have equal sizing as shown and it may not be the reason. So what actually do you think that might be the cause? I have been stuck for days trying to understand this but no success.

If you sweep the clk in a DC sense from 0 to vdd, and plot the delay through the gated inverter for each sweep, you will see that the delay is non linear with respect to the clk value. It is nothing but the voltage (clk) to delay being non linear that shows up as non linear delay. Diving deep into it, you will see that the non linearity of the effective resistance offered by the gated devices (M5, M6) as they go through linear and saturation region cause this non linearity.

You are right that depending on the clk value, delay will change, but it's not linearly dependent due to the above mentioned reason. This is the very problem that has been attempted to address in all VCO based ADCs and the delay line based ADCs. But, as far as I know, it's almost impossible to get more than 35-40dBc linearity unless some calibration or other such technique is employed.

And no doubt that these delay lines are a very interesting topic..

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back