Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dot Matrix led display not same brightness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac84

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, I have a 64x16 pixel dot matrix led display. It is build out from 16 pieces of 8x8 pixel dot matrix led.
But now the problem is, when I show some characters, the brightness of 1st row is brighter than the other 15 rows. Do you guys have an idea what's wrong with it? Is it firmware problem or it's hardware problem? I don't have any direction on how to troubleshoot this.

I think maybe it's firmware problem,can you show your code?

I've investigate further. When there are more dot lighten up on a row, that row will become less bright. If there is less dot lighten up on a row, that row will become brighter.
So, I don't think it's firmware problem. It is insufficient power?

just like wavelet1208 pointed out; post your design here so that proper guidance will be given.

it may be a firmware or hardware problem....
sequel

I don't have the coding nor the schematic. My fren just past me this display.
Just want you guys opinion, generally what's wrong with the dot matrix display if I have a problem like this?

can you take a snap shot of the circuit and also the matrix
or better still the chips you have there in the circuit

seems to be scanning code error

I've found out that it uses the MBI5025 driver ic for the column data and the 74HC4094 ic for the row data. Is the current constant for each row?
If for example there's constant current 50mA for each row, then I think the brightness of using 50mA to light up 10 dots on a row, won't be the same with the brightness of using 50mA to light up 30 dots on a row. Am I right?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think it's firmware problem. Because when there is less dot to turn on, the dots will be brighter. When there is more dot to turn on, the dots will be dimmer. Am I right?

Status
Not open for further replies.