Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does this charger have a fan in it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no vent holes and there's surely no fan. A standard power supply form factor.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, but there is a definite round fan-sized cutout in one end. Why would they bother doing this if there's no fan.

Thanks, but there is a definite round fan-sized cutout in one end. Why would they bother doing this if there's no fan.
Cut-out is generally given if there is a fan for forced air cooling or may be for ease of flow of natural air inside the case to take away the heat!

T

O.K. I didn't see this picture.

1596443720850.png

However the cutout is not round and doesn't fit a commonly used fan form factor. It's not completely impossible that the charger incorporates a fan, but still unlikely. Unfortunately I don't see a way to find it out without either a clear vendor specification, or having the device at hands.

T

I've never seen a fan with a power cable running through it's middle either!
If it was a fan, there would have to be an equivalent vent for the air flow somewhere else. I have a 48V unit that looks very similar here but it powers my CCTV recorder and cameras, it does not have a fan.

Brian.

Thanks, yes it must be just air vent holes, but it seems unusual to have them in an offline PSU, due to the danger of ingress.

an easy way to check for a fan is to hold a light paper strip, such as
a thin strip of dry tissue - it will respond to air flow either way

Status
Not open for further replies.