Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Does the size of the ceramic capacitors (through hole) relate the voltage rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaswat

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
size of the ceramic capacitors (through hole) and voltage rating

I just want to know that, is the size of the ceramic capacitors also relate the voltage rating of the capacitor. I saw that 82pF are physically larger than even my 0.1μF capacitors.
The size of both the capacitor confused me.

Any good idea would be appreciated.

In any capacitor the size depend on voltage and its capacitance value...
because
Voltage rating is proportional to distance between plates and
capacitance is proportional to area of the plates.....

Means bigger or larger size directly relates the voltage rating of the cap??

Could you please elaborate it. I am little bit confused...

Every capacitor is combinations of two plates separated by a dielectric material......
capacitance is directly proportional to area of the plates and inversely proportional to the distance between plates........
so for a big capacitor the distance should be low and area should be high...
but if the distance is too low the dielectric will get punctured with voltage... so there must be a proper distance between the plates according to voltage and for that distance the area shd be high as to get the required capacitance....

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are confused with different kind of capacitors, there is no relation between any kind of capacitors...........

In summary, for a given capacitance of a ceramic capacitor, the size will be roughly related to the voltage rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back