Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does Cadence PKS is a good software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drabos

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cadence pks

Does Cadence PKS is a good software?
Because we've just learned it. To my mind, better softwares must be exist!

what cadence pks do?

I have used PKS for 3 years .
It's good one .
it does Almost all thing as DC do ,.
it can also support sdc constraint format.
It's speed is fast .

drabos

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I have used PKS for one year and employ it to place, it is not bad.
But more people use PC. I don't compare them.

placement of SOC encounter is more powerful, PKS documents cadence release are less then before.

drabos

if i am rgt PKS is mostly used only for synthesis, though it has other features of placement and routing...

correct me if i am wrong.

thanks,
Prasad

drabos

ya.. he is right..

mostly PKS is used for logical optimization and inserting constraints..
we dont use place and route mostly..

Encounter is better tool for placement and routing. it is equally compared with astro..

SOC Encounter has inbuilt PKS , what is that ????

as we directly give netlist as a input while importing a design in SOC 4.1, though in 5.1 we can give verilog file as input.

reply soon.

Prasad

PKS was the first physical synthesis tool even before Physical Compiler (PC) and magma. The tool could do floorplan, some elementary power routing, full legal placement and global routing (all timing driven) in addition to RTL logic synthesis just like synopsys' DC. The 5.xx version had powerful datapath features like operator merging, complex arithemetic designware components (just like DC) and also power optimization features. However since the backend was done in a flat fashion in PKS, the size of the design (especially after half a million gates) constrained its usage. Realizing that most of the designs were going in the multimillion gates, Cadence introduced SOC encounter (this tool was called 'first encounter' before its purchase from Silicon Perspectives by Cadence). Cadence also decided to stop PKS since there was a lot of overlap between SOC-E and PKS. Basically SOC-E is much better in the back-end compared to PKS. The older versions 3.3, 3.4 were not good for timing driven optimizations (compared to PKS), so PKS was bundled into SOC-E so that the optimization rich features of PKS could be exploited by a designer in a opportunistic manner. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ivlsi

drabos

ivlsi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back