Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anyone know what is this component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samuelr

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know what this component is, I got it from a metal detector board when powered up, it was smoking away slowly. Roughly it took about 30secs before it has visible smoke. I measured it to have about 9ohms.

Attachments

• componentx.png
    componentx.png
    707 KB · Views: 126

That looks like a smoke generator.

Probably a resistor, but just because it's 9 ohms NOW doesn't mean that was its original value.

Keep in mind that it is not because this resitor started smoking it is the culprit of the failure. Something else may hav given way and caused overstress here.

Yes it could be an inductor. I see that it has metal end caps.

Where exaclty this component was, in metal detector board....
If it is at entry point of power supply and a capacitor with it then it could be inductor for filtering purpose. OR it could be Fuse or fusable resistor (normally low value) to limit the max current IN.
If it is in series with metal detecor coil... then this component may be a resistor to control the coil current using feedback...
As it was smoking 9ohm value may not be ture. If this component is at power entry point... then may be metal detector circuit is sinking more current..
As you told it took around 30 sec to smoke.... then I think your inductor coil is saturating slowly and taking max current.

Status
Not open for further replies.