Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does anybody use AMD64 to run EDA tools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aigneryu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
As title,

I am wondering if the EDA tools such as cadence IC, Synopsys, Mentor..
can function well in AMD 64 based linux machine.

i should be getting one in a week or so....
i am eager to see the same on linux.
can we run some windows emmulator aand compare performance of 32 bit windows applications?
let me know ur opinion.
hock

You can run them quite nicely and very fast. The major EDA tools for Opteron (64-bit) have started arriving on Redhat Linux. The tools will continue to arrive right through 2004-2006 which by then probably all the tools would have been ported.

Maybe certain 64bit applications will function well, but what if 32bit?

AMD64 is also said to be 32bit compatible, and did anybody use 32bit

EDA tools on AMD64 based machine? And what kind of OS should they

use? 32 or 64bit?

FC1 has released the AMD64 version OS but I'm not sure RH has AMD64 OS yet (Maybe RHEL 3.0).

Syonpsys (on RHEL 3.0) do provide tools for AMD64. Question is in which mode (native 64-bit or 32-bit compatible) the tools are running?

The problem is, Synopsys and others are standardizing on Redhat
Enterprise Linux 3, and the amd64 version is priced at $800 8O

As far as I can tell there's no place to download the ISO's.

AMD64 is declared to be compatible in 32bit mode.
What will happen if I construct a AMD64 based linux machine with normal 32bit distributions, and then install 32bit EDA tools on it?

Has anybody done this like that?

Does the general release of RH Enterprise 3 support AMD 64 or is there a seperate version of it specifically designed for the 64 bit architecture?

I have the ISO's if anyone needs them

From what I understand the ISO's for the 64-bit distro of
RHEL 3 end in "amd64.iso" instead of "i386.iso". So the
64-bit version is compiled especially for the Opteron.

Have anyone already test 64Bit CPU performance ..

if hspice support 64bit mode , I hope it can run fast than 32bit ..
but someone told me .. even though in 64bit mode
hspice performance maybe speed up very smal ..

Speed may be better only when applications are designed ground up for the 64 bit processor.
How stable are the toolchains for this ?

no really .. I try the big mem kernel ..Solved the mem over 4GB issue .

Is anyone running 32 bit executables (say design compiler) under a 64 bit linux release?

My understanding is that they should work if you have 32 bit linux libs installed on the machine, but I'd like to have this confirmed (I'm thinking on building a 64 bit system, but would still have to run some 32 bit tools).

why not wait for a while until EDA vendors clain to support 64bit platform.
I don't think it's necessary to do it right now

They are supporting 64-bit, calibre and modelsim have just been released for AMD64 LINUX. Modelsim is a very big one IMO, it is the standard and the best for HDL simulation etc.. Once the big packages are ported everything else will follow.

And a QUAD Opteron with 32GB-64GB of RAM as a workstation is bloody good for me, AKA the Appro 4145H.

4145h_beauty.jpg

4145h_front.jpg

It could be a foolish question. Any version of linux's a "64" bit OS ?
Or any OS now' can be speed up by a "64"bits CPU?

Even if on AMD64 there is a 32bit execution Unit, to take full advantge of this CPU (i.e. Superscalar Architecture) you need to run binaries compiled for this machine.

I'm really curious to know if there is a speed improvement in comparison with a 32 bit architecture like a P4.
I know that there is a resource gain in terms of memory, but if I use DC with a P4@3GHz and an Opteron@2GHz (assuming that there is enough memory to manage the design), which is the faster architecture?

Please report as many benchmarks as you can, with different applications.

Cheers.

Fib

For LINUX 64-bit there is REDHAT WS 3 for upto 2 CPUS, and also the AS 3 for 2 CPU +. Both have natively compiled versions for Opteron. For comparison to the P4 in 32-bit designs Id say the Opteron is better as it has higher FPU performance and shorter pipeline. As for 64-bit performance between nocona and opteron the difference in performance will be greater as the nocona is IDENTICAL to xeon with only 64-bit extensions, for the Opteron NUMA and the low latency, high BW memory architechture will kick in for designs bigger than 4GB. I shouls also note the EMT technique intel is using in the nocona is flawed for accessing the 4GB+ address space, REDHAT allready knows about this and has solved the issue but at a heavy performance penalty in memory performance.

IMO if your looking for a 64-bit workstation, INTEL is out of the game. Mentor has allready released 64-bit version of MODELSIM and CALIBRE and did not even mention or make references to INTELS NOCONA.

We are using single Opteron Linux boxes for all our design workstations, and multiple CPUs for simulatin farm. All 32-bit EDA applications run like charm. For some 64-bit ready applications, they are runnning great.

:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.