Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does an inductor can be used as RF choke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STOIKOV

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
inductor as RF choke

Commercially available inductors can be used as RF chokes ?

Re: inductor as RF choke

You have to watch out for the DC current rating. When filtering DC you need to look for the series resistance which will cause heating and voltage drop. You also have to look for the reduction of the inductance (when there is some core material other than air or an insulating support) from being biased of the center of the BH curve by the DC current.

STOIKOV

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
inductor as RF choke

One important thing is self resonace frequency (SRF). It has to be less than the operating frequency otherwise your inductor will become a capacitor.

STOIKOV

Hi,

My friend I think you are wrong when you want to use with the inductor as RFChoke you must take inductor with SRF bigger then operating freq.
But if I am wrong please correct me!!!

David

STOIKOV

Yes, we have all used inductors as "RF chokes" on things like bias lines, etc.

The inductor would have to be used in a frequency range below its SRF, otherwise at resonance it would have no "filtering effect".

However, I do think it would be confusing to use the terms "inductor" and "RF Choke" interchangeably. When I want an "RF choke", I want something that is a LOSSY inductor (ie has part inductance and part resistance in its series impedance). The lossy nature is what allows you to form wideband rf blocking without fear of resonance with shunt bias capacitors! If you look at a typical "ferrite bead" data sheet, you will see that is has considerable resistive loss.

If you used high Q inductors as an "RF Chokes" with impunity, you could get in trouble in some cases with a parasitic bandpass filter formed in your bias network--such as when you have two series RF Chokes with a DC bias line length of around λ/2 between them.

STOIKOV

I've been told about this RF choke, what do you think for DC supply applications ?

**broken link removed**

What you need is a ferrite bead. They come in forms with multiple holes with the wire winding several turns through the holes.

STOIKOV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back