Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does a Transceivers Require a CPU (Core)

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor6799

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone tell me whether a transceiver (IC) requires a dedicated CPU (core) in order for it to do its thing such as process incoming data such as commands when sending data out ? I'm a newbie in the field of transceivers and RF technologies. Does a transceiver have a stack similar to what an OS such as Windows uses

Thanks

Last edited:

There is never an absolute need to use a CPU but it usually makes life much simpler to process data using software than a purely hardware solution.

The answer you want depends on the format of the data, a transceiver alone generally handles the electrical requirements of data transfer but not the content of the data itself. If you have to deal with encoded data or data packaged in some kind of protocol, a CPU is the sensible solution.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'a stack' in this context and in what way you think Windows uses it. Can you be more specific please. A stack is just a list of data or addresses, I can't see why it is OS specific at all.

Brian.

Some transceivers are UART compatible so you can send and receive data through RS-232 port of a computer by using Telnet utility.

The answer depends on the wireless protocol which wasn't yet mentioned. Transceivers for complex protocols, e.g. WiFi or Bluetooth, use internal programming and a firmware.

Thanks to all replies. Thanks FvM my question was completely hypothetical but if it will help suppose a transceiver uses cell phone frequencies but the application is not cell phones. Which brings to me to another question. Is it possible to piggy back on the cellular frequencies used by cell phones today ?

The answer depends on the wireless protocol which wasn't yet mentioned. Transceivers for complex protocols, e.g. WiFi or Bluetooth, use internal programming and a firmware.
Sorry for this late response. But suppose the frequencies being used are the cellular QUAD band GSM. NOT WiFi or BlueTooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back