Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

doc. study and work in US or Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamali

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
dear guys,
I am managng to take a doc. in elec. eng. (fields) in US or Canada. I alreaddy have a M.Sc., and bytheway, about 9 papers. I am now studing doc. in Iran, but i think study in US is some sort of different. anyway, i want to know how is financial situations there? and where you guys suggest me to study (i mean which state?), and may i work there too? (I am a graphist and web designer too!, but dont like wast time on it, i prefer a related job, specially in antenna design and RF).
looking forward your suggestions,
marti

Hi mamali

The US is not a good option this days ..if you get a degree . well the options for later ,getting a job here are very bad .. Had you asked me 5 years ago .I would have so much tell you .. For foreigners to get a job in the US. well .it's very hard .. Last year was bad .. this year is worst .. So i don't anticipate a recovery yet .. There are thousands of engineers out of work.
The companies are no longuer offering help with H1- visas.
5 years ago there was such an incredible shortage of labor that companies were hiring high school kids!!! .. Now they ask for 5- 8 years of documented experience .. so if you just got out of school .. well you're in trouble .Companies are migrating the engineering jobs ("outsourcing") to china and india .. So the reamaining ones are tough to get !
The tuition in Universities has also reached an all time high .. And comming from a middle east country it won't help !

But this is just my opinion in my area and in my state and what i see in my university .. get other opninions and try to reach a good conclusion.
I heard that Canada is a little better .. and England also is a good option!

tnx john, but i used to hard situations (specially financially!), i just want to study in a top university, and you know that a lot of persians are there, specially in CA, i just want to know how hard it is, for a doc student, (i think i am a good student!:) )
BTW, my friends studing in canada suggest me to apply for us univs

marti

hallo

i would like to know in which field do u want to study mamali
and also why does your friend in canada tell u that studying in us is better
i am not in us but i want to study further

thanx

Why not continouing in japan? OK! you say that, you want to study in a top university, and of course most of the top universities of the world are in us but not all of them. you can even find very good places in taiwan and ... so, why us? I think it is not the only choice.

hi mates

I heard that Canada is a little better .. and England also is a good option!

i am not an authority on these subjects.
but i dont think why you consider US as second quality.
Infact US is the top quality in educational infrastructure,research,professors, recognition and they shape the latest trends in most of the fields. (no offence is meant to other countries but still...). Lots of people i have known ofcourse have qualms about a job after studying but in effect they do get them...
atleast thats what i have known/seen

dear guys, tnx for sugestions and comments,
mkassem said:
hallo
i would like to know in which field do u want to study mamali
as i mentioned, i study telecommunication eng., fields. i have published works on fractal log-periodic arrays, miniaturized fractal microstrip p@tch antennas, and multisegment dielectric resonator antennas. my current interests are antenna and simulation.
mkassem said:
and also why does your friend in canada tell u that studying in us is better
i am not in us but i want to study further
thanx
becouse of financial supports, they sed in us its far better for same works. and, quality of study is better in us (specially a dozen of univs.)

mami_hacky said:
Why not continouing in japan? OK! you say that, you want to study in a top university, and of course most of the top universities of the world are in us but not all of them. you can even find very good places in taiwan and ... so, why us? I think it is not the only choice.
if you know a good univ. there wich i can apply for, please tell me. and please specify language condition there (english is enough?), and financial supports they may provide. i know there are good univ. at tokio, kioto and sendai.

at the end, please give me more practical informations, and more precisely ;).

rgrds, marti

Status
Not open for further replies.