Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you use Salvo RTOS for MCUs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mozfet

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do you use RTOS for MCUs

Is it a good idea using the Salvo RTOS?

Re: Do you use RTOS for MCUs

I am thinking good idea for microprocessor or microcontroller system with large program and data memory.

Recently, I start my studies about RTOS and I am fascinated with possibilites and resources...

If you use 8051, for single chip by using keil software and rtx51tiny.
RTX51Tiny included in Keil evaluation in https://www.keil.com

It depends on a project type. It is very useful when your project grows too much and when you have several hardware devices that you have to controll in the same time at the specified time intervals. If your project is simple, you probably would not need it.
RTOS is not a magic, it is only one different way of thinking way of thinking, that allows program to run concurently on a a some amount of time.
When you learn how to use it, you will be able to test your programs easily.

Someone from another forum recommend WindRiver which supposedly support all a lot of popular uC or uP. I think you can even download a free version.

bsiswoyo said:
If you use 8051, for single chip by using ke*il software and rtx51tiny.
RTX51Tiny included in ke*il evaluation in http://www.keil.com

just wonder why we need to put ** for http?

Added after 36 seconds:

oh, the forum filters it out...

Last edited by a moderator:

gorkin said:
I am thinking good idea for microprocessor or microcontroller system with large program and data memory.

Salvo is suitable for small chips also!
"RTOS that runs in tiny places"

But for RTXfull your argument is applicable I belive!

Picstudent

you can try tinyOS too it can be used for smaller chips with limited resources.

In simple projects ,you do not use RTOS.(a small task scheduler is enough)

I medium and large size projects with many hardwares and many tasks you should use RTOS,but your CPU time needed by all tasks should not exceed 70%

(use 60%,save 10% for future code addition to project and spare)
But for 8 bit micros it is hard to find a good OS .

I prefer preemptive RTOS ,because it have little programming overhead for tasks.

7rots51 said:
In simple projects ,you do not use RTOS.(a small task scheduler is enough)
task-scheduler:
a home-made? is there any free scheduler like that available?
i intend to write one for my microP....

I little confuse about RTOS. In AT89c51 has 4k flash memory, maybe it need external RAM, isn't it?

Hi

Many 8051 members have very limited RAM or use external RAM that decreases speed of the system ,I suggest through away old 8051 core and use new AVR cores that are suitable for C and new software needs,I was 8051 programmer for 8 years ,but for 8 bit at now,I work with AVR,I do not have limitation that 8051 have.

This is a very tiny scheduler from atmel AVR for small micros(I think you can port it to 8051)

7rots51, is the uploaded scheduler preemptive?

Do you use RTOS for MCUs

hi 7rots51!

in the tinySCH.rar code #include <iom16.h> is there!!
can you let me know where do i get it from?
-srinivas

Is rtos free and which ucontrollers does it support? I also wonder how it works? I mean is it a organized code that have certain areas to fill?

seyyah said:
Is rtos free and which ucontrollers does it support? I also wonder how it works? I mean is it a organized code that have certain areas to fill?
Hai
At least I know that 8051 and PIC can be used with RTOS. All most all popular controllers should have RTOS available!

Usually intended not to be free ! Keil package includes one called RTXTiny.Then demo versions of a Salvo is available for 8051 and PIC.

usually comes like some include header files and other files or settings on the IDE. Any way seems not as a organised code to be filled ,but they will have a prescribed format of how you should write the code for RTOS and the special command directives to be used when building the projects.

All the best
Picstudent

Hello,

If we are talking about Rolls-Rois or PORSHE of the RTOS (PIC and AVR) this is for sure SALVO (www.pumpkininc.com). I used to work with some RTOS and what I found is that best i sjust SALVO - it has so many features, it's absolutely reliable.. just the best.
If you have the money and enough knowledge - don't hasitate and take SALVO.
Regards
Luben

Hi

The above code can be found in Atmel journal 2003 for AVR tiny(above tinySCH is cooperative).

These is a cooperative scheduler from p0nt book(you can port it to AVR easily,it is for 8051 keil):

hi 7rots51!

Can You put there All sources from p0nt book?
They are very useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.