Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do you know how to measure angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trail_hehe

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to measure an angle

Please help me, i looking someone to guide how to measure an angle.

My project is to calculate an angle of pendulum but i cannot found the suitable sensor for my project.

how to measure angle

you can try with magnet sensors
like reed relays or hall effect transistors

measure angle

you can try an optical encoder, they are expensive
or a mems (accelerator) it can tell you the direction of g.
so you get 2 mems sensors, one on the rigid part, one on the pendulum, and you get two directions from which you can get an angle with a very good precision.

mems inclinometer accelerator difference

magnet sensors? sound interesting... could you describe more... advance thank...

measuring angle pendulum

On the pendulum/Thread you can use magnet and for detecting them use a reed switch
Check the reed switch and based on that get the angle

how to measure the angle

Hello trail_hehe,

Could you please elaborate a bit more on your application?

The encoder could work if the mass of the pendulum and accelerations are enough as to overcome encoder friction, and you have a rigid link between pendulum bob and fulcrum.
With reed type magnetic sensors you could only detect the presence of the pendulum's bob in a certain position, but hardly measure an angle.
Optical sensors share the same characteristics, but they will not damp the movement as could be the case with mag sensors.
There are magnetic sensors with an analog output mesuring distance from sensor to object, but I don't know if the precision is enough for you application.

Hope this helps.

how to measure angle?

**broken link removed**

:) You'll find something interesting there .. ( Inclinometers, Tilt sensors .. etc)

if the motion isn't continuous then use simple potentiometer, cheap and easy to interface.
if continuous motion then you can build your own optical encoder using a LED on the motor shat and plenty of photo transistors connect in a circle around the shaft.
these are cheap and easy ideas.

I think you can take any optical encoder. You should to pay attention to it's accuracy. Considering that the pendulum hasn't high velocity the encoder needn't ball bearing. But if it does you can find some suitable cheap encoder like ENS1J-B28-L00128L.

Status
Not open for further replies.