Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do we need a PFC frontend for SMPS that draws 30W ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We are in Maryland and we have an SMPS which is rated at 60W, and therefore it has a PFC front end.

However, the 60W output only occurs for one second when 4 solonoids are operated.

-after that, the power draw never goes above 30W.

Its in a shower unit so the (normally-closed) solonoids only get activated once per day, per person, typically.
-after being activated, the solonoids draw the low level holding current.

-so should we really need the PFC stage?

Re: PFC for SMPS?

None of the computers made in China have PFC in their power sources; I have tested 10+ noname computers, some older than others. And PSU is rated between 250..400W.
None of the power supply for LCD (even branded ones) have PFC!!!
The same with most notebooks.
So I would say: no, the PFC is not really needed.

Re: PFC for SMPS?

No, you don't have to have a PFC front end. One of my designs is a 200W motor drive that meets all CE requirements without a PFC front end. It did require a relatively large line reactor to meet some of the requirements though.

Status
Not open for further replies.