Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Do I need a 2A current limiter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mscir

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
We have *2 solar panels wired in parallel, that each output 3.12A max, and a **LI battery pack that can be used to supply 120VAC or charge devices over USB. The input for the battery is rated at 2A, when we connect the solar cells to the batter pack input the charge indicator acts strangely, like it's being over-driven and shutting down to protect itselff : charge - shut down - charge - shut down and it takes much longer to charge the battery when this is happening than on the AC adapter.

I disconnected one panel, then used construction paper to drop the voltage from 20V (IIRC) to 15V, attempting to limit the current output this way, and got the battery charge controller to behave exactly the same way it does when charging normally from the AC adapter.

Could we be over-driving the battery charger with too much current? If so, is this a good place to as for help building a 2A current limiter for the output of the solar panel?

This is the hardware:

*ECO-WORTHY 120 Watt 12Volt Off Grid Monocrystalline Portable Foldable Solar Panel Suitcase with Charge Controller
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-M...-Foldable-Controller/dp/B01M4NH9ES?pldnSite=1

**SUAOKI Portable Power Station, 150Wh Camping Generator Lithium Power Supply with Dual 110V AC Outlet, 4 DC Ports, 4 USB Ports, LED Flashlights
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Station-Generator-Flashlights-Emergency/dp/B076PR4TBZ?pldnSite=1

It turns out that with one solar panel (out of the pair) with some of the cells partially blocked off, the LI battery device charged normally. I think we're overdriving it. Is it possible to build a 40W max charge controller so I don't overdirve it?

Status
Not open for further replies.