Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DMA speed and clocks_per_se

Status
Not open for further replies.

syedshan

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am using some c++ code where using DMA I transfer burst of data to the computer using FPGA +PCIe and then write to file.
But in doing so I am missing the timing and data synchronization in my FPGA code.
The PCIe speed is 100MHz and the FIFO clock capturing data is for the PCIe is 125 MHz (this clock is derived from same 100MHz clock using PCIe IP core from 3rd party).

My questions are below.

1. The DMA speed is 100MHz RIGHT?, but the rate at which fifo is flushing data is 125MHz. so If I have 20,000 samples per burst, the total DMA time is 10ns * 20,000 =200us, right? and total transfer time from FPGA fifo to the PC is (200us) + (8ns*20000) = 360us ?
Pardon me but these timings have made me a little confused.

2. Then the time to write in a file for simple 20,000 samples is 70ms, but I use clocks_per_sec and clock() function and I am not sure what value does clock() function returns. How is clock tick different from processor clock.
The value of clock_per_sec is 1000 on windows 7 , I check on 2 different computers, why is this so?

Bests,
Shan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back