Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DIY Test Pattern Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhmbl

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Im looking to build a small, preferably portable, Test Pattern Generator for monitors etc. Can anyone assist me? I would like to be able to display, on the output, either 75% or 100% test bar pattern. With the output being SDI/VGA/HDMI.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

first set up your specifications.
Draw diagrams for hardware, first raw, then refine it step by step.
Describe your ideas. Connectors, video standards, you want to implement. Power supply.
Video resolutions...and how to handle DDC?

There´s a lot you have to consider before you can start hardware design.

Klaus

What we did, in a factory I used to work, is to employ a laptop. It already had the prerequisite VGA and HDMI outputs, you could change the resolution (within certain range) and the available test patterns were only limited by the ability to draw them or download it from the internet.

If a laptop is too large, perhaps a Raspberry Pi would be a solution. I've never personally worked with a Rasperry Pi, but understand that a project like yours is perfectly doable.
It only has a HDMI and composite video outputs, but building/purchasing an HDMI to VGA converter should be far easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.